Thursday, March 14, 2013

Cinnamon Rolls

 
 
 
 
 
 


Baseball season got underway in my house this past weekend.  We stood in the rain for three hours while seven innings of America's game was played.  Domo smiled and his eyes were bright and this in and of itself was something I would have stood outside all night to see.  It was a beautiful sight.  The score was brutal and not in our favor, but our players walked off the field happy to have the opportunity to play the game they love.

To start off the weekend I made my adapted recipe for cinnamon rolls in my bread machine.  They can be made the morning of but one really does need to get up early to do this.  I've done it before and it is definitely doable if you are an early riser and your family is not.  This time I decided to make the rolls on Friday night so that they were fresh and waiting for me on the weekend mornings for my enjoyment with my first cup of coffee.  It made the standing out in the rain part much more bearable to have a cinnmon roll and three (3!?!?) cups of coffee in my tummy.

I find that frosting for cinnamon rolls is such a personal preference so I serve mine nekkid and let the consumer slather on the white yummy cream cheese frosting on their own.  That way they can pop a roll in the microwave (which I do) then let the gooey goodness slide into the nooks and crannies if they choose.  Or, if you are my husband, he likes his at room temperature.  I like a lot of frosting but Domo does not.  See?  Very personal. 

 

 
 
 

Cinnamon Rolls
Dough:
1 cup warm milk (115 degrees F)
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups flour plus more for dusting
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
Filling:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tbs cinnamon
1/3 cup butter melted
Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon  milk or half and half

In the bowl of your bread machine add the following ingredients in the order listed:  milk, egg, melted butter, vegetable oil, sugar, salt, flour, and active dry yeast.  Using dough cycle start your bread machine.

Once the dough is finished, combine sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, melt butter.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and roll into a rectangle slightly larger than a 9×13 pan.(I turn my 13x9 pan upside down close to the dough to eyeball the measurement.)

Brush dough evenly with melted butter. and sprinkle sugar mixture on top. Use your hands to make the entire surface is evenly coated. Beginning with the long side, roll dough pinching the seam to seal.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Using dental floss, cut dough into 12 equal slices and place them in a greased 9 x 13 baking pan. Allow dough to rise for 30 minutes.  (I cover mine with a towel and sit the pan on a very hot oven @500 degrees, turning down to baking temp when I put the dough in the oven.)

To make the frosting, beat butter, cream cheese, sugar, and half and half on medium-high speed for three minutes. Set aside.

Bake cinnamon rolls for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Frost now or later, depending on preference.

Servings: 12
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 2 hours
Oven Temperature: 375°F

No comments:

Post a Comment