Sunday, March 31, 2013

Bacon and Cream Cheese Deviled Eggs



It is a glorious day today.  The sun is out, the temperature is agreeable, and nary a cloud in the sky. It's been years since we've had a noteable Easter as lovely as this one here in the Seattle area.  I have the windows open and I've been enjoying a burst of spring cleaning energy.  My husband is outside mowing the lawn.  The only thing that is missing are the kids as I dropped them off yesterday at Grandma's house for spring break.  It seems just a titch lonely without them.  The husband and I will be just fine, don't you worry, and the kids are having a good time.

I wish I could share with you something beautiful for Easter this year but I haven't been to the grocery store in two weeks and there aren't a lot of recipes that I can muster up with what is left in the pantry.  What I do have is eggs and bacon and cream cheese.  I even have ranch dressing.  The result is one of my favorite deviled egg recips that has been in my file for many years now.  They aren't pretty (mostly because I'm not a pretty kind of cook) but that's just how it has to be.  They are absolutely delicious, looks not withstanding.  These babies are dense and rich, not light and fluffy, like a traditional recipe.  I'm sure you could manage a dollop of mayo or sour cream, or even some additional ranch dressing if you don't like the texture. 

Oh, did I mention that the kids are at my mom's for spring break?  Whatever shall my husband and I do?  It's the best kind of vacation there is, just the two of us in our own home.  I'm very excited!





Bacon and Cream Cheese Deviled Eggs
1 dozen egg
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tsp mustard powder
1/4 cup ranch dressing
3 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
salt and pepper
paprika

Hard boil eggs, then place in ice water to cool, at least 10-15 minutes. Peel, cut in half and scrape yolks into a large mixing bowl.

Cut cream cheese into bite-size pieces, and add to yolks. Begin to beat with a hand mixer on low. Add mustard powder and then begin to pour ranch into bowl in a thin stream.

The desired texture is a thick filling, just wet enough to form a paste and be blended by the hand mixer. Turn mixer up to medium-high and whip until slightly fluffy and able to form stiff peaks (doesn't take very long).

Add crumbled bacon pieces and mix just until blended through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Fill whites with filling and sprinkle with paprika.  Refrigerate until serving.

Servings: 24
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes

4 comments:

  1. Hey sista face just poppin in to say hello! So nice to meet you, you have a fantastic blog here. Cant wait to follow along.
    Have a fantastic week!
    XO
    Ash@ABpetite
    http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The addition of cream cheese in these deviled eggs is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound so good, would be ideal for a BBQ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would dill relish be good in these?

    ReplyDelete