Sunday, January 20, 2013

Limoncello



It seems that the second the New Year rolls around I am thinking about spring.  I have a long stretch of rainy weather before anything in my life resembles spring but that isn't going to stop me from eating my way through some spring and summer flavors.  I have been on a wee bit of a lemon kick the last few days and while it isn't exactly winter comfort food I thought I'd share a little bit of sunshine with you.

This isn't a wam bam thank you ma'am recipe.  Start now and you'll be drinking sunshine before the calendar says March.  I know, I know, I'm sorry! 

 
 
 


Limonello
750 ml vodka
10 lemons, zest only
3 cups sugar
4 1/2 cups water

Place the lemon zest into a large glass container with an wide mouth & an airtight lid. Pour the alcohol on top & seal with lid. Keep the container in a cool dry dark place for at least ten days.

Boil the water and sugar, stirring often until reduced by one-third, until the mixture is thick as syrup.

Strain alcohol into the simple syrup.  Discard zest. Whisk together the alcohol and simple syrup together until combined.  Pour into desired bottles and refrigerate for at least two weeks before enjoying responsibly.

Servings: 10
Yield: 1 litre
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 10 days plus 2 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment