Sunday, November 18, 2012

Apple Galette

 

For over a week I watched the Granny Smith apples in my fruit bowl.  They weren't going anywhere and they were kind of taunting me.  My kids enjoy eating the apples as a snack (too tart for me, does anybody else snack on these?) but the last few fruit weren't moving and I didn't want them to go to waste.  It's fall and we love pie but I wasn't in the mood for such a labor intensive project, nor did I have quite enough apples to make that happen to my satisfaction.  I did have a pie crust in the freezer and apples in the basket, so I did the next best thing and modified my pie recipe to make a quicker version. This is no frills and so quick to make.
 
Feel free to skip the pie crust portion of the recipe if you already have one in the freezer or if you so choose, buy one from the store.  I do challenge you though, that if you have never attempted a pie crust before, please try this one before telling yourself that you just don't do pie crusts.  It is so very simple, and with a food processor, even easier. I double the recipe and make two crusts at once, freezing one disk for use at a later time.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Apple Galette
Crust:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1/2 cup unsalted butter, very-cold, cut into cubes
1/2  tsp salt
1/2  tsp sugar
3 to 4 Tbs ice water
Filling:
3 granny smith apples, cored, and thinly sliced
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 dash salt
 
Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor; pulse to mix. Add butter and pulse 6 to 8 times, until mixture resembles coarse meal, with pea size pieces of butter. Add ice water 1 Tbsp at a time, pulsing until mixture just begins to clump together. If you pinch some of the crumbly dough and it holds together, it's ready. If the dough doesn't hold together, add a little more water and pulse again.
 
Remove dough from machine and place in a mound on a clean surface. Gently shape the dough mixture into a disk. Wrap disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour, and up to 2 days.
 
Remove disk from the refrigerator. Let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes in order to soften just enough to make rolling out a bit easier. Roll out with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface to a 12-inch circle; about 1/8 of an inch thick.
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
 
Place apples in a bowl, along with sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt; stir. Pile apples in the middle of the pie crust, leaving an 1 ½ inches around the edges.  Fold outer crust toward the center , like a wrapping a package.  Place on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, or until apples are soft, and crust is flaky.
 
Servings: 6
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes

 

No comments:

Post a Comment