Sunday, October 14, 2012

Potato Soup



 
 


Summer had a hellava run this year but it ended a few short days ago. It is as though mother nature flipped a switch and fall began. Over the last ten days or so the leaves had been changing colors ever so slightly and the temps dropped a bit but on Friday the grey came back to the sky and the rain began. It smells like rain again! As much as I complain about the neverendingness of our rain (I so wish it would stop several months before it does each year) I really do enjoy it. It's fall like three quarters of the year where I live and I adore it for three quarters of that time. Then I start wondering why I didn't move to Florida instead.

This weekend I enjoyed every minute of the rain and clouds and the wonderful smell it leaves behind.  I spent a ridiculous amount of time in my kitchen and outside on the patio fending off tiny rain drops to take loads of pictures.  I hope to be able to have time in the next few weeks to share with you what I've been up to. 

Fall is definitely soup season and one of my favorites, potato soup, can be quite boring if not done properly.  I know because I've made more than my fair share that was not very good and overcompensated by shaking a week's worth of salt intake in to make up for it.  Here, the bacon lends its saltiness to the soup and the herbs add a lot of flavor..  The evaporated milk adds a wonderful richness which really allows this cheap staple to be something that isn't just a budget stretcher, but something that lands on your menu no matter how much you've got in the bank.





Potato Soup
10 slices Bacon
1 onion, diced
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1 Tbs white vinegar
7 cups russet potatoes, peeled and diced
6 cups chicken broth
1 Tbs fresh chopped Parsley
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Rosemary
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
14 oz Evaporated Milk

In soup pot fry the bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon and set aside. Remove all but two tablespoons of the bacon grease. Saute the onions until tender and translucent. Add the garlic and saute just until fragrant. Add the vinegar to deglaze the bottom of the pan.

Add the potatoes, broth, parsley, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Turn down heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add in bacon and evaporated milk.

With an immersion blender, blend the soup until you have reached desired consistency.  Serve with cheddar cheese and green onions to garnish.

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment