Thursday, September 13, 2012

Goat Cheese Stuffed Mini Portobello Mushrooms



Today fall is in the air and I have sweaters, football, hot chocolate, blankets, pumpkin, ginger, and the upcoming holidays on my brain.  I know!  I should probably stop already but I just can't.  I absolutely love fall.  I've baked a pie, a batch of cookies, made chicken stock, and filled up my freezer with the last tasty bits of summer; blueberries, strawberries, plums, and corn.  I like to be able to pull out a lovely reminder of summer every now and again even in the winter months. 

I'm not exactly sure where portobello mushrooms land in the seasons category but I do know that I enjoy them all year.  This lovely recipe is perfect for summer barbecues, or winter gatherings with your family, and I particularly love serving stuffed mushrooms for Thanksgiving.  What I don't like about stuffed mushroom recipes is that they are stuffed then baked and usually served at room temperature.  There is something about baked cheese that is left out at room temp which is very unappealing to me visually.  Here I chose to bake the mushrooms by themselves then stuff and serve.  For me it was perfect and the way I plan to serve similarly stuffed mushrooms from now on.  








Stuffed Mini Portobello Mushrooms
32 small portobello mushrooms, cleaned and stalks removed
4 Tbs olive oil Salt and pepper, to taste
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
5 oz goat cheese
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Place mushrooms on baking sheet, facing-up. Drizzle 2 tbs. olive oil over mushrooms and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

2. In large skillet, heat remaining 2 tbs. olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots, celery, and red pepper and cook 5 minutes, until tender. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and garlic and cook additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in scallions, goat cheese, and parmesan cheese.

3. Fill mushrooms with cheese mixture and serve.  If not eating immediately these may be refrigerated and brought to room temperature before serving. 

Servings: 4 Cooking Times Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Oven Temperature: 350°F

No comments:

Post a Comment