Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Chai Tea Concentrate



My husband traveled to India for work back in May over the Memorial Day holiday and he brought me back a variety of fabulous spices along with other gifts.  Apparently acquiring the list of spices turned out to be quite the adventure for him, sending him to parts of Hyderabad that he would not have otherwise seen.  I think he looks at his adventure in a fond way and I hope that when I cook with the spices he brought back for me he is reminded of his trip.  I've never been to India but he tells me that it was an experience that he will never forget.

On the list of spices to bring back from India were cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves.  I've made several items with the cinnamon but I had not yet dug into the cardamom pods or the cloves.  The cardamom pods proved to be a bit challenging but I managed to crack them open and grind them up in my coffee grinder to my satisfaction.  My kitchen smelled awesome.

I am not a tea drinker at all, I much prefer coffee, but I do love chai.  Like, really really love it.  You know what is even better?  Drinking it with a shot of espresso. It's called a dirty chai, a name that I'm particularly fond of.  There's just something about putting the word dirty in front of things that makes it feel so so very bad which makes me want to do it that much more.  Like a dirty martini or a dirty whore.  It just makes it so more fun to say.  It's fun to roll up to a coffee stand and order a tall dirty chai with soy and a half pump of caramel.  Best. Drink. Ever.  As much as I love my $5 latte, I really much prefer to find ways to make things at home, and this recipe makes a much cheaper drink. Feel free to add a shot of espresso!







Chai Tea Concentrate
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp clove
1/2 tsp nutmeg
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
brewed black tea of your choice

Mix the spices and condensed milk thoroughly.

Brew a cup of black tea and stir into chai concentrate to taste. Start with a teaspoon and go from there. I like mine pretty darned sweet.

Servings: 12
Yield: 2 cups

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment