Monday, August 27, 2012

Chocolate Caramel Pie



On August 24th my first born turned 18 and for me this milestone was enormous.  When my baby boy was born back in 1994 I had turned 16 only four days prior.  I was a young and foolish teenager who didn't have a clue was she was doing, yet I made the decision to raise another human.  Looking back on 18 years of struggles and successes I get teary eyed at the mere thought that we made it this far.  He has become an amazing human being with so much potential, a sense of self, and while he still has a lot of growing up to do, he is wise beyond his years in so many ways. I grew up right along with him and I'm quite amazed at what I have managed to accomplish as well. 

To celebrate Damian's birthday I wanted to make something very special and after throwing around traditional cake ideas I asked him if he would be okay with a pie, because I had something out of this world in mind, and he happily agreed because Damian is the ying to my food yang.  He gets it and I love him for it. 

I first made this when I was 12 years old for my mother's birthday. I remember wanting to do something special for her and even back then food and baking were some of the few ways that I knew how to express my love and appreciation for those that I cared about. I can't tell you how well it was received because I don't specifially remember but I do know that I've made it time and time again. Somewhere along the line, as recipes often do, this one got tucked away for years, and only the celebration of an extremely special birthday caused it to resurface. 

This recipe is wonderful for special occasions when you really want to wow your audience. It's also great just to nibble on out of the fridge.  It is very rich and decadent and a small slice will be more than enough.  This recipe requires a great deal of chill time to prepare and while you don't bake the pie there is some cooking and melting and other prep work involved.  It's not something you wake up in the morning and say I'm gonna make that pie!  No, no, this is one you plan ahead for, but it is sooooo worth it!










Please excuse the excessive amount of photos, I have been playing with my new camera, and I am quite happy with the results.  Happy Birthday to me!


Chocolate Caramel Pie
graham cracker crust
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons buter
1/4 cup sugar
caramel layer
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
6 Tbs butter
1/4 cup sugar
truffle layer
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup heavy cream
3 Tbs butter
mousse layer
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup evaporated milk, ice cold (I put the evaporated milk in a metal bowl and place in freezer until ice crystals begin to form around the edges and then beat.)

Graham Cracker Crust:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor mix together graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar.  Press onto bottom and up sides of pan a 9" spring form pan.  Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes, or dark pan at 300F for 8-10 minutes.

Caramel layer:  Cook sweetened condensed milk, butter, and sugar in medium saucepan over medium heat until butter melts. Increase heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly for six minutes or until mixture is as thick as pudding. Pour over prepared crust and refrigerate one hour.

Truffle layer: Stir chocolate chips, heavy cream, and butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until melted and smooth. Pour over caramel layer and refrigerate one hour.

Mousse layer:  In a double broiler melt chocolate chips, stirring constantly. Cool slightly. Beat heavy cream in a bowl until stiff peaks form. Beat in cooled chocolate. Beat ice cold evaporated milk until trails form. Beat into chocolate mixture just until blended DO NOT OVERBEAT! Spread over truffle layer and refrigerate for one hour.

Servings: 12
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 3 hours and 15 minutes

8 comments:

  1. Now this is indulgence! Looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the most wonderful and dangerous thing I've made in a long time. Thank you so much for sharing. I absolutely love this recipe. It's totally worth the time involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you like it and I agree, dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi,
    Thank you so much for sharing this incredible recipe! I am extremely lactose intolerant so I've never actually been fortunately enough to try this pie myself but I love to make them for my best friends and closest family who all go crazy over them! They can't get enough of this pie! This will be a recipe that I use forever, I'm sure. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks amazing :) I'm gonna try and make it..Thanks in advance.
    I'm from Holland and not sure what the diffrence between evaporated milk and condensed milk is? Vaporised milk translates as coffee milk??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what coffee milk is. :) Evaporated milk is milk that has had the water content evaporated. Here is the Wikipedia page for evaporated milk:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporated_milk

      I hope this helps!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your reaction. Coffee milk is special kind of milk here, for in your coffee hihi, like a liquid creamer. Thanks for the page, I think I understand now... Is it unsweetend unproccesed condensed milk?! I'm gonna make it tomorrow for my bf's 30th bday. I'm sure he'll love it, he has a real sweet tooth ;) Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Entertaining tonight and making this for dessert. Have had the tab open for days but just now realized you're in Snohomish. We're in Poulsbo!

    ReplyDelete