Thursday, June 14, 2012

Oven Roasted Grape Tomatoes



It's June in Seattle and you know what that means: I will be complaining for the next 45-60 days about the lack of sunshine and overall summer that I am (not) experiencing.  It is currently pouring down rain with dark skies and high temperature of 57 degrees.  You can go ahead and tell me now in the comments below that you had enough of that last year and that you will refuse to read my blog if I say one more thing about it. 

Tomatoes are sunshine to me.  They represent all the goodness that summer brings and that my hometown lacks.  I personally don't have a vegetable garden for a couple of reason even though I really really want one. The list includes items such as a very small yard in a very cramped subdivision, a dog that digs and eats everything, lack of direct sunshine, and I'm totally not the gardener in my house.  I do have friends that cultivate a vegetable garden and year after year I hear compaints that summer in our area just doesn't get warm enough to produce a satisfying tomato crop.  Some years yes, but many no.  Even these gardeners resort to store bought varieties to quell the summer cravings. 

One of the best ways I have found to enjoy tomatoes is to roast them.  Even if they are not sweet to taste straight from the garden, roasting them brings out all their delectable sugars and juices, and makes for a wonderful treat any time of the year.  I make roasted tomatoes year round and particularly this time of year because I want to be remindind of that glowing thing that is suppose to bring me warmth and tans that lives in the sky.

Roasted Cherry Tomatoes an adaptation of a Cooks Illustrated recipe
4 cups (2 pints) cherry tomatoes, halved unless very small
2 tsp sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbs thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place tomatoes in an oven safe dish, sprinkle with sugar, garlic, and oil.  Roast in the oven for 25 minutes or until skins become wrinkly and tomatoes release their juices.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with basil leaves.

Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Oven temperature: 400 degrees

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, this looks delish! Just what I was looking for to use up the three pints of tomatoes I got for pre-school snack day that didn't get touched! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete