Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Brown Butter Cookies With Butterscotch Chips



I'd like to mourn the recent recipe that didn't work.  I won't go into detail of what it was or where it came from, but I am sad that it wasn't what I wanted it to be, for me.  I had saved the recipe for nearly a year in my files, drooling over it countless times, coming *this* close to making it many times in the last month, and when I finally executed, it fell flat of my expectations.  It was ok but it was nothing to sing about and half of it was thrown away.  It makes me sad when this happens and I had to acknowledge the fact that sometimes my brain and my tastebuds are not on the same page.  This says nothing about the recipe itself, it turned out just as intended, I believe. 

The beautiful thing about the blogging world is that there have been so many recipes that have come to life for me.  So many things that I otherwise would have never tried. It is one thing to see a recipe in a cookbook or on a cooking show, but it is another to read a real life person describe why they love a recipe so much and why it works for them.  Sometimes when I translate that recipe to my kitchen they fail but most of the time I am so awesomely impressed with myself.  I want to thank the blogging world for stretching my culinary skills and making me the cook I am today, which no doubt, makes me the person I am today.

I am back in the kitchen on a regular basis, having had my knee brace removed last Thursday.  My walking is a bit tenuous but even a four days time I have made great strides.  It feels so good to start being me again.  One of the first things I did was make these cookies for my son Damian.  He loves butterscotch and even confided in me that he prefers them over chocolate chip.  I had been wanting to make him my brown butter cookies for quite some time but when I mentioned the recipe to him he just wasn't feeling it.  I decided that the butterscotch chips would be an amazing compliment to this already stellar dough so I did what any good cook would do and I made them without consulting.  I was right and this was a total win recipe in my house.  Let me say that again.  I was right.






Brown Sugar Cookies with Butterscotch chips
14 Tbs unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1 3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp table salt
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 Tbs vanilla extract
12 ounces butterscotch chips

In 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, heat butter until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and transfer browned butter to the heat-proof bowl of a stand mixer; set aside and let cool.  While butter is cooling, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat mat.

Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.  To the cooled butter add brown sugar and mix on medium-low speed until no sugar lumps remain, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula; add egg, yolk, and vanilla and mix on medium-low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined, about 1 minute. Mix in butterscotch chips.

If needed, refrigerate dough until it is workable with your hands. Roll dough into large balls, placing about two inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Bake one sheet at a time until cookies are browned and still puffy and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft; 12 to 14 minutes.
Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes then using a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to the rack to cool completely.

Servings: 24
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 14 minutes
Inactive Time: 30 minutes 

No comments:

Post a Comment