Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Viking Cookies

We are settling into our new reality nicely.  Having one kid in the house is much different than two.  Instead of being able to attend one child's everything we will soon be facing decisions of divide and conquer and I'm kind of freaked out about that.  Its merely a factor of mommy guilt and nothing more. Track meets and baseball tournaments, parent meetings, helping with homework, assigning household tasks.  Forgive me for being a bit childish about something that most families deal with on a regular basis, I don't mean to diminish that at all.  I think that gradually having to learn these things over time somehow seems easier in my head but having it be an abrupt change seems much different.  We will get the hang of it! 

Time devoted to photography and blogging has diminished too and we are coming up on our crazy season in our household.  The months between April and Labor Day are bombarded with jam-packed weekends and schedules that are filled most nights during the week as well.  Last year it was a bit hard for me to juggle and I was it made me sad.  More than anything else on a personal level I love food and I secondarily I love to blog.   Sure, I'm telling you, but really I'm just preparing myself.

A new person in the house means a new palette to get used to.  Some of my favorite things are some of the things that Damian (my son in case I've never said!) dislikes the most. Last weekend I wanted to make cookies which usually involves some form of peanut butter but Damian isn't a fan.  He kept telling me not to worry about him and to make whatever we usually eat but that day I wanted to accomdate everybody.  I finally settled on these Viking Cookies which combines cinnamon, which he loves along with white chocolate chips, something my husband loves, and adds in oatmeal.  You should have seen the look on Damian's face when I added in the oatmeal!  Kip, the husband, isn't a particular fan of oatmeal either but I find that it is pretty easy to sneak it into cookies without much disagreement.

I found this recipe in the Carrot Cake Murder, one book in a series written by Joanne Fluke.  If you like a little mystery and if you love recipes, you should check them out.  They are fun and completely fictional.  After reading each of her books I usually have flags on many of the pages pointing to recipes that I want to try.  Shamefully I am going to admit that I've already posted this recipe before in my very first post ever but they are worth repeating and I think a total of two people read that first post.








Viking Cookies
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup butter flavored shortening (you may use all butter if you prefer)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon  vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups vanilla chips
1 1/2 cups rolled oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment or use a silpat mat.

Cream butter, shortening,  and sugars together until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla and eggs one at a time.

In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon.  Add the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture in two batches.  Stir in vanilla chips and rolled oats.

Drop by teaspoons onto a greased cookie sheet, about 6 cookies to a tray.  *It is important to note that you shouldn't make these cookies very big, they spread out quite a bit and they just don't cook properly if made too big*. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, cool for 2 minutes, and remove to a wire rack to cool completely.   

Servings: 36ish (I didn't count!)
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 13 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F

1 comment:

  1. The cookies sound fantastic.... I think I could sneak oatmeal into anything sweet and the family wouldn't notice. Great re-post! I'm sure your family will get into a rhythm soon enough.... we divide and conquer in the house all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete