Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Irish Cream Liquer (Bailey's Copycat)


Right now I am laying in bed with a brace on my right leg from ankle to upper thigh recovering from knee surgery that I had on Monday.  I will be here for the next two weeks recovering but I hope that once I have a bit more mobility that I will be able to muster up some posts from recipes that I have made and kept over time.  I don't want to fall off the face of the blogging world.  Currently I am in a huge amout of pain, taking as many percocet as I am able, and extremely sleepy from doing absolutely nothing.  Right now I wish I were drinking.  :) Now onto the post!

I'm pretty partial to fancy alcoholic drinks that involve umbrellas and fruity conctions on one hand and coffee and cream on the other.  That is really the extent of my drinking capabilities.  That is unless you ask my friends that I go to the bar with and they will tell this *crazy* story about how they *once* saw me drink an irish car bomb in a single glug.  Or the *one* time I drank shots of tequila in quick succession.  But other than that, really, I like my alcoholic beverages to slide right down like I'm not really drinking alcohol.

A few months back I decided that I wanted to start making my own vanilla extract so I went to the liquor store with intention of buying a small amount of vodka to do just that.  Except for somewhere between here and there I began looking of recipes to make my own favorite alcohol beverages at home.  You see, I don't drink unless I am out with the girls, and I started examining how much this costs me and I kind of freaked out.  $8 for a single drink times a lot of drinks and I'm buying a couple gallons of alcohol at the liquor store.  So I decided to buy a couple gallons of alcohol from the liquor store for reals and see what I could make at home.

One of the first things that I made was this irish cream liquer and I am so very glad I did.  It is easy to make, absolutely delicious over a glass of ice, and makes me thankful that I didn't just spend $8 for the drink.  Besides, I can drink it at home without that crazy bar scene.







Irish Cream Liquer
1 cup light cream
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1 2/3 cups Irish whiskey
1 tsp instant coffee
2 Tbs chocolate syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract

1. Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend at high speed for about until mixed thoroughly, about 1 minute.

3. Transfer to a clean bottle with a tightly fitting cap. Store, refrigerated, and shake well before using.

Servings: 8
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes


1 comment:

  1. First things first, I hope the healing process is going well! Being laid up is no fun at all! But when you start walking again, you value it all the more. (I guess life has it's upsides, right? ;-) ) Second, a drink like this is exactly how you should be spending your down time! Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete