Sunday, March 11, 2012

Guinness Snack Cake




I've never been good with timely blog posts, particularly those for specific holidays.  Sometimes I try, like last year when I made this little snack cake in the week approaching St. Paddy's day, only to bite into them and realize I had left out the Guinness beer.  That was a sad moment for me because this recipe is not exactly frugal and they weren't tasty without the beer so it all went in the trash.  I decided to try again this year though and this time I remembered the beer!  Lucky me!  Like I said, these aren't cheap to make, so I only make this recipe about once a year and it's an absolute treat for me. I love the combination of chocolate and Guinness.

Originally touted a brownie, I would have to disagree, because these are more cake-like to me and one thing I do not like is a cakey brownie.  Call it what it really is, a cake.  So that's I'm doing.  That way you won't be disappointed expecting a brownie and not exactly getting it. 





Guinness Snack Cake
4 eggs
3/4 cup superfine sugar
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 oz white chocolate, chopped
6 Tbs unsalted butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/4 cups Guinness stout

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 13x9inch pan.

In an electric mixer, combine the eggs and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the bittersweet chocolate, white chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and beat into the egg mixture.

Sift the flour and cocoa together and beat into the chocolate mixture. Whisk in the Guinness.

Pour into the pan and bake for 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.

Servings: 24
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Oven Temperature: 375°F

No comments:

Post a Comment