Sunday, February 26, 2012

Tuna Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes



A recent facebook status of mine read, "Oh, 2012, you have not been kind to me so far! What gives? Don't worry, I don't hate you, and I know that this is just how life rolls. Still, I'm wondering if you could send something cheerful my way next time. My crap pile just keeps getting bigger, and while it is manageable, it really stinks!" 

Life has been stressful since the new year for my family but we are hanging in there.  Of the many things that has happened along the way, a most wonderful event has also occurred.  I would say that it has been a long time coming, but the events that led up to it were rather spur of the moment.  My 17 year old high school junior, who has been living with his dad in another state for many years, moved in with me last weekend!  It has definitely been stressfu! We are all settling into our new home life and it is taking some getting used to but I can not wait for the challenges and rewards of having him back home with me again.

Due to the whirlwind weekend trip to fetch him from Oregon I did not a lick of shopping last week.  Still, I was quite amazed with myself with what I could pull out of the hat with my well stocked pantry and freezer.  When Damian, the newest member of our household, mentioned that he had not eaten these tuna stuffed twice baked potatoes in years and missed them, I scoured my resources to discover I had everything I needed. 

I grew up eating these potatoes, though I have no idea where the recipe originated from.  It could be a Sally (my mom) original or it could be something she clipped from a magazine over the years.  I don't recall her reading the recipe from a cookbook but this is also a likely scenario.  Once I left home I started cooking these myself since they were so simple and my skills so limited.  Over the years they have been pushed aside for my culinary adventures but I like to pull them out every once in a while and in this case it had been years since they have seen a spot on my table.

I used what I had in the pantry, and in this case that meant, itty bitty tiny russet potoatoes from the bag.  We ate them as a meal but with these small potatoes they would make an excelled appetizer for a party or other gathering.  The recipe calls for 4 large baking potatoes so please disregard the size of my potatoes in the pictures!








Tuna Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes

4 large baking potatoes (or equivalent)
1 cup mayonnaise (or ranch dressing, or a combo of the two)
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated, divided
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
2 cans tuna, drained


Preheat oven to 375°F Wrap potatoes in foil and bake until fork tender, about an hour. Alternatively, use the microwave, puncture potatoes with fork several times, and cook on high until a fork inserted easily penetrates the potatoes.  Cooking time will depend on the wattage of your oven and the size of your potatoes.  Start with 10-15 minutes and go from there.  Let potatoes cool.

Split potatoes in half and spoon out the filling into a medium sized bowl leaving enough in the shell so that the skin does not break when handling. Break up potatoes with fork.

To potatoes add mayo, 1 cup cheese, green onion, and tuna.  Restuff potatoes with mixture to a slight mound.

Place in 13x9-inch baking dish and bake for 20 minutes, or until the tops begin to brown slightly.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese, letting melt before serving.

Servings: 8
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes

1 comment:

  1. These are really quite good- I made a homemade ranch dressing to mix in- my toddler ate two halves-and it was a hit with the husband too! Easy, cheap and nutritious! Thanks

    ReplyDelete