Saturday, February 11, 2012

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup



The boys just left the house for baseball tryouts.  I'm looking outside at the rain and am wondering if winter has given us all it is going to.  I know the answer to that is probably yes.  Springtime activities are just around the corner and we will soon be taking our baseball practices from inside to outside.  My older son is getting his physical so that he can participate in high school track this upcoming week, and would you believe that the football team is already doing workouts twice a week at 6am before school?  If you are a relatively new reader I feel that I should warn you:  we love sports and fully encourage our kids to participate.  I have found that it really motivates them to do well in school, fosters a secondary social setting, and involves the whole family.  We are in love. Not only do we love sports for the kids but we are huge Seahawk and Mariner fans.  Please don't throw rocks. 

So as I stare at the rain and dream about spring I think about one of my most favorite vegetables, which is a summertime vegetable, but that doesn't matter.  With a bit of roasting bland and yucky winter tomatoes can turn into something wonderful.  I don't purchase many tomatoes during the wintertime but sometimes you just have to remind yourself of the sunnier days that are yet to come.  I know, I know, I live in the Pacific Northwest so those days are far off and the total count will be few but I can still look forward to them. While I dream about days when I don't have to wear a rain coat to take the dog for a walk I'll share with you this recipe for a delicous tomato soup so that you can enjoy tomatoes any time of the year.







Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
3 red peppers, cut into large pieces
6 roma tomatoes, cut in half
6 cloves of garlic
1 large onion cut into wedges
2 Tbs olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried parsley
2 cups vegetable stock
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Heat oven to 425. Place peppers and tomatoes on a baking sheet with garlic and onion. Drizzle veggies with olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, thyme, rosemary, and parsley. Roast in oven for about a half hour or until veggies begin to char.

Remove the skins from the peppers and tomatoes.  Place veggies and juices into a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat. Add in broth and warm through.  Using an immersion blender to break up veggies to desired consistency.  Adjust seasonings if needed before serving.

Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Oven Temperature: 425°F

2 comments:

  1. baseball tryouts already?!? wow. while i like regular tomato soup, i LOVE it when it's spruced up with peppers. great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are pretty hardcore......my 11 year old son has about 2 months off a year. We started indoor training up the first week of December. We are craaaaaazy!

    The soup is awesome, I had more for lunch today and the aroma alone is delicious.

    ReplyDelete