Monday, February 6, 2012

Pecan Pie Bars With Pretzel Crust



Today marks one year since my first post. I've learned a  a little bit about photography, a lot about blogging and myself in the past year. I've learned that I am capable as a blogger, but most importantly, I have learned that I'm doing this for my enjoyment and my satisfaction. If this blog begins to be a source of stress (I haven't posted in 2 weeks! I'm not funny enough! Nobody can relate to me! I don't share enough about myself!) then I am looking at this all wrong and a change of perception is required.

I'm glad that I started this blog and I'm glad that a friend of mine who knew how much I loved food gave me a gentle nudge in that direction. I'm sure I wouldn't have done it without her encouragement.

The recipe I am sharing today has been going around the blogosphere recently and you may have already made it. Initially it sounded really good but then I had doubts about whether my family would like it or not. I decided to take the plunge when I planned a Mexican-ish menu for Super Bowl yesterday. This seemed to be the perfect finale. Luckily I made these bars on Saturday because Saturday night I went dancing and totally aggravated my knee injury which I have been dealing with for what seems like the beginning of time. I was completely out of commision, crying tears of pain and frustration. Needless to say the menu I had planned pretty much went down the drain. I did manage to hobble my way into the kitchen and throw some pork into the crockport for shredded pork tacos but the rest of my awesome menu did not get made.

These bars are super yummy and the pretzel crust adds a really great twist, however, I did find that a couple days into the bars that the pretzel crust becomes soggy and the salty taste that makes its addition to the recipe so great kind of disappears into the background.  My advice would be to take these to a potluck where you have lots of friends to help you eat them.





Pecan Pie Bars with Pretzel Crust originally found here and slightly modified

2 cups pecan halves
8 ounce  pretzel rods
2 cups  butter, divided
1/2 cup sugar
8 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
4 oz finely chopped Mexican chocolate
3 Tbs flour
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups corn syrup
1 Tbs pure vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.  Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit on the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan.

Place the pecans on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes to roast.  Remove from oven and set aside to cool.

Take 2 sticks of butter and melt either in the microwave or on top of the stove. Meanwhile place the pretzel rods in a food processor and process until you have a fairly fine crumb. Add in sugar and melted butter.  Process until entire mixture is wet.  Pat down in prepared pan.

Place the cooled pecans into the food processor and chop to desired consistency.  Add in flour and process quickly to incorporate.

Place the remaining 2 sticks of butter into saucepan or microwave and melt.

In the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, combine the eggs, sugar, corn syrup, and vanilla.  Beat on medium-low speed.  Add in the chopped chocolates and the pecans.  Slowly add in melted butter and mix to incorporate. Spread evenly over crust. 

Bake in preheated oven for 60-70 minutes, until the center has just set. Let cool to room temperature before cutting and serving.

Servings: 32
Oven Temperature: 325°F

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your blog-i-versary Heidi!!

    The pecan pie bars looks great. I love the twist with the crust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated bloggerversary! These pie bars look amazing, and I'm loving the idea of a pretzel crust great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the dependable recipe. We've made it at least twenty times since last year, including tonight, and we added a special twist: we add a bit of Kahlua to the mix. Mmmmmm. Thanks thanks again!

    ReplyDelete