Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Chocolate Kahlua Cake



Shortly before or after Christmas (my short term memory sucks and my timeline abilities are seriously lacking) a friend of mine mentioned a cake that she receives annually from a neighbor of hers every holiday season.  It's a chocolate bundt cake laced with kahlua and frosted with chocolate frosting once again laced with kahlua.  This neighbor of hers refuses to share the recipe.  We commiserated with disapproval of the failure to share food and love by passing along a beloved recipe.  I feel strongly that sharing recipes is a sign of friendship and a way to get to know others better.  It's a matter of getting to know each other and really giving a peek into your life through food.

Days later I was still thinking about that cake so I set out to find the recipe for my friend.  Nearly every recipe I found was for a box of Duncan Hines devils food cake mix, a box of chocolate pudding, kahlua, and some other add ins.  I passed that along to my friend which totally cracked her up.  Why was I still thinking about this cake?  Truth be told it is because I wanted to one up this neighbor of hers who was so stingy!  I wanted to express my friendship through finding the best darned recipe for chocolate kahlua cake that I could find.  I did manage to find one homemade recipe that seemed like a good place to start.  We made a deal that she would make the recipe with the box of Duncan Hines and that I would play around with the recipe that I found. 

Friend's recipe was pretty stinking good and this one is too.  This cake does not have a super intense kahlua flavor but more of a chocolate cake that has been kicked up a notch.





Chocolate Kahlua Cake via food.com
3 eggs , separated
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar , packed
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup cold coffee
3/4 cup Kahlua
For the Frosting
6 Tbs butter
1 (16 ounce) package confectioners' sugar , sifted
3 Tbs unsweetened cocoa
3 Tbs Kahlua
2 -3 Tbs hot coffee
chocolate (for shaving; optional)

1. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Beat egg whites until frothy; then add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form; set aside.Cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy; add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition.

3. Sift flour, cocoa, and baking soda together in a separate bowl; add to creamed mixture alternatively with coffee and Kahlua, blending well.

4. Fold egg whites into batter.Pour batter into prepared pans.

5. Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until done; cool 10 minutes; invert on wire rack; remove pans.Cool completely before frosting.

6. To prepare frosting, cream butter and confectioners sugar in a large bowl.Add cocoa, Kahlua, and coffee, beating until smooth.Spread frosting on cake; garnish cake with shaved chocolate, if desired.

Servings: 10
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Inactive Time: 1 hour
Oven Temperature: 350°F

No comments:

Post a Comment