Monday, January 23, 2012

Creamed Onions



Before making a dish like this I make sure that the house is vacant, or atleast that the other occupants are doing something else far away from the kitchen.  This is a dish that I make solely for myself.  Nobody else is going to come within a ten foot pole of this dish and I'd prefer that the comments that are flung far and wide about my cuisine are as absent as possible.  How is it that I managed to have family members that do not like onions? 

This past week was a perfect time to make the dish.  I was "stuck" (I use that word with quotation marks because I love nothing more than being "stuck") at home with an SnOwMG storm that was of pretty epic proportions in my neck of the woods, I had lots of onions, and lots of time on my hands to do a bit of chopping, sauteeing, stirring, and breathing the dreamy aroma of onions as they became mild and delcious and delectable. 

I've never made my own creamed onions before but I knew that I would absolutely love it and I was right.  It doesn't get much better than this as far as onions are concerned.  Bonus points, it isn't full-fat, and while it still isn't low-fat, I'm proud that I made a half way in between version that was good enough that I see no reason to go hog wild and use whipping cream!  Win for me.

Pretty, no?







On to the onions!









Creamed Onions
2 tablespoons butter
2 sweet onions
2 red onions
3 leeks, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1 bag frozen pearl onions
salt and pepper
2 cups half and half
1/4 teaspoon  nutmeg
salt and pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley

Slice or dice onions (I like chunky style but do whatever suits your tastes).  Heat a large saute pan over medium heat.  Add a two tablespoons butter to the pan.  Add the red onions, sweet onions, and leeks.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook until they are soft and translucent and soft, about 10 minutes.

Add the cream to the pan.  Simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes, until the cream begins to reduce.  Add in pearl onions and heat through.  Add the cooked onions back to the pan and mix to coat.

Transfer onions to a oven safe dish; top with parmesan cheese and parsley.  Bake in a 375 degree oven until they are heated through and the top is brown and bubbly, about 45 minutes.

Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Oven Temperature: 375°F



2 comments:

  1. This looks like a wonderfully rich down home recipe great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the compliment! If you try I do hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete