Monday, January 16, 2012

Chicken Corn Chowder



Winter is here! Winter is here! Winter is here!  If only for a brief moment it is here, and I do not feel like I am living in a land that is determined to give me only rain or clouds year round.  It has been quite exhilerating to watch the snow fall over the last 24 hours.  In the beginning we were literally jumping up and down when the flakes arrived for fleeting moments and cheering them on when they subsided.  Now that we have an official five inches I feel a sense of relief.  Winter hasn't totally ripped me off this year. 

When we moved from central Oregon one of the things I told myself that I was leaving behind like a pair of worn out tennis shoes was the winter weather.  The snow, the treacherous driving conditions, the white flakes that would mess with me getting where I needed to go.  Little did I know that it would become one of the things that I have missed the most. 

One of the best ways to eat on a night like this is a bowl of chili or soup or chowder.  This isn't fancy by any means but it is easy and good and it hit the spot along with some rolls that I pulled out of the freezer to defrost.  It's a flexible recipe so there is no right or wrong answer here.  If you like things spicier you can add jalepenos, if you have leftover chicken then dice it up and throw it in, if you have an extra tomato toss it in.








Chicken Corn Chowder
1 Tbs oil
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed  
1 small onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp cumin
4 oz. diced green chilies
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups half-and-half cream
14 oz. can cream style corn
1 tomato, chopped (or 14oz. can chopped tomatoes)
1/2 teaspoon  salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
hot sauce, to taste (I like Frank's hot sauce)
cheddar cheese, for garnish
green onions, chopped, for garnish

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium. Add in cubed chicken, onion and jalapeno peppers; cook stirring until chicken is no longer pink; add garlic and cumin and cook for 2-3 minutes more.

Add in broth; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low then stir in cream, cream-style corn, green chilies and diced tomatoes; cook stirring until the cheese has melted and all ingredients are heated through (about 2-3 minutes). Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste. Ladle into bowls then sprinkle with shredded cheese and green onions.

Servings: 8
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes

1 comment: