Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Cream Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms


I can't get into the Christmas spirit.  I feel........nothing.  It's the first time in years, like a really really really long time, that I haven't been able to muster up tidings of joy for my favorite time of year.  I am not bah humbug about it by any stretch but I just don't feel that thing that I usually feel.  I even tried faking the funk around Thanksgiving because this is generally when my spirit arrives.  I'm not a very good faker so I stopped doing that. 

The gifts are purchased, 90% of them are wrapped and under the tree, and I have been able to get myself in the kitchen to bake a few things, but there is plenty left to be done.  The thing is that I just don't really care this year if it gets done.  None of the usual minor will-I-get-it-all-done stress is there (yay!) but along with that the spirit of it all is absent.  So today instead of more baking goodies I bring you a savory treat because along with the lack of baking spirit, it has been so long since I've posted something other than cookies. 

Years ago, probably when I was in junior high, my mom made delicious stuffed mushrooms with cream cheese, bacon, and seasoning.  She only made them once, probably for a special dinner like Thanksgiving or Christmas, and then forgot about them.  I did not forget, no I did not.  Last year a few days before Thanksgiving I called her to see if she still had the recipe and after some digging she declared that she did not.  In fact, she doesn't even remember the dish.  So I searched the internet and didn't find exactly what I was looking for but since it was crunch time I made one of the recipes I found.  It was okay, but it didn't bring back those food memories that I was searching for.

This year Thanksgiving rolled around again (why only around Thanksgiving, I do not know) and I once again was craving to remake that food memory I experienced more than a few years ago.  This time I decided to play it by ear and see what I could come up with.  I'm sure that this isn't an original idea by any stretch of the imagination but it is too good not to share.  They are decadent and delicious, good hot or room temp, and won't last long.


Cream Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms
24 oz mushrooms
8 oz bacon
1/4 cup minced onion
1 clove garlic
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350. Seperate caps from stems.  Chep stems and set aside.

2. Fry the bacon and drain on paper towels; crumble. In the same sauce pan with a little bit of bacon grease saute the onion, mushroom stems, and garlic until soft.

3. In a bowl mix together the cream cheese, bacon, onion mixture, parley, salt and pepper.  Fill the caps with cream cheese mixture and place in a greased 13x9 pan. 

4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the tops are crusty and the mushrooms have turned dark.

Servings: 12
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F

No comments:

Post a Comment