Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sour Cream Coffee Cake


If you are me the best way to deal with a disappointment is to bake which is exactly what I had to do today. 

It's just one of those things and it isn't anything personal, I know that, but it still totally bums me out.  Yesterday I received an invitation from a friend to do something super duper cool today.  I was totally psyched and I mean hard to sleep kind of excited.  I woke up, got ready, and then the phone call came.  The one cancelling our plans.  So after a short and furious cleaning session (you should see my son's closet!) while I put things into perspective, I headed to the kitchen to to cheer myself up.

This coffeecake is the kind of thing that will make you happy enough so that you can go on with your day.  For me it is the perfect texture and crumb for a coffeecake and is what I've been looking for for quite some time.  The possibilities with topping and filling or not are really up to you and your imagination.  I also think that a 13 x 9 could work easily here too but I haven't tried that yet. 




Sour Cream Coffee Cake from The All New Southern Living Cookbook
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs cinnamon
3 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
16 oz sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease bundt pan with shortening.

Combine pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon; set aside.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt; set aside.

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, then beat until just blended.  Add flour mixture alternately with sour cream; beginning and ending with flour mixture.

Sprinkle bottom of pan with half of pecan mixture.  Add another 1/2 of batter; sprinkle with remaining pecan mixture.  Add remaining batter.

Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.  Run a knife around edges to loosen sides; gently turn cake out onto wire rack and cool completely.  Transfer to serving plate.

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Inactive Time: 1 hour
Oven Temperature: 350°F

3 comments:

  1. Sorry your day got messed up Heidi. That stinks! :-(

    But the coffeecake looks amazing so maybe it wasn't a total loss? Not to mention that clean closet lol.

    Buzzed ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and I think we're going to get along well :) This coffee cake looks delicious, and the kitchen is exactly where you would find me working off frustration too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :waves: hi Anna! So glad you found me which in turn has given me another awesome blog to read.

    ReplyDelete