Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Superb Steaks and a helpful website


I'm not a huge carnivore but when I want am craving a thick juicy steak, this is my go to recipe.  It's simple, only takes minutes to prepare, and it is one of the best steaks I have ever eaten let alone made. The cooking times indicated below are for a medium rare steak but son #2 pretty much freaks out about things that are so rare so I cook mine 5 minutes total on each side. You can see those results above, the very center is still red on the largest of the steaks.  This way everybody in my family is happy but feel free to adjust the cooking times to suite your needs.

The original recipe indicated using rib eye but sometimes that can be out of budget for my family.  I discovered that one of my local stores carries a cut called ball tip that is economical and very good but I have also learned that this cut is something most people have never heard of.  This is a fabulous website that explains different cuts of beef and what cooking methods are best for those cuts.  There are so many to choose from and I think we often forget just how many options are out there. 




Steaks that are Superb original recipe found here but original credit goes to Food Network

32 oz boneless rib eye steaks (or another favorite cut)
1 Tbs freshly cracked black pepper, coarse
1 tsp granulated garlic powder
kosher salt

Remove steaks from the refrigerator and let them sit for about 30 minutes.

Coat both sides generously with coarse black pepper and granulated garlic powder.

Heat an iron skillet or a heavy bottomed frying pan until very hot on high heat.

For each steak, sprinkle onto the skillet, 3/4 teaspoon of coarse salt and allow salt to heat up for at least 1 minute. Place the steaks on the coarse salt and cook for 3 minutes (for medium rare); do not disturb the steaks for entire cooking time. 

Turn the steaks over and cook for an additional 3 minutes (for medium rare); again do not disturb.
Remove steaks to a plate, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes, so that all juices are absorbed by the meat.

Servings: 6
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 6 minutes or more

3 comments:

  1. I love steak and I usually reserve ribeye for specials occasions. Wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steak is one of my favorite foods and these look great! :-)

    ReplyDelete