Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pecan Praline Pumpkin Ice Cream


I wish you could lick the computer screen.  Kind of like scratch and sniff only lick and taste. 

A few months ago I took my kids to see Spy Kids 4 in 3D.  As I walked up to the usher I was fully expecting to recieve a pair of glasses to enhance my movie viewing experience but what I was not expecting was him to hand me a "4-D Aroma Scope" card.  No, I was not expecting scratch and sniff at the movies.  Apparently somebody thought it would be a really cool idea to give each person at the theatre a card with ten numbered circles on it.  A prompt with the corresponding number would pop up during the movie and you could hear everybody in the audience with their dimes scratching off the correct numbered circle.  Only to discover smells such as dirty feet and fart.  I'm here to tell you that this was not the best marketing idea. 

But!  Lick and taste for computer screens seems like a really good idea.  Just think of all those awesome blogs out there with beautiful and visually pleasing photos.  Wouldn't the ability to lick the screen and see if the recipe is really worth your while be awesome? 

This ice cream is one of those things that I have to eat.  Every. Day.  Until Gone.  It's is creamy and delicous and something that I'm so surprised I was able to pull off.  It's a total win.  Even better is that it doesn't require an ice cream maker (I don't have one) and that it really is simple to make.  You don't have to have any special culinary talents to make one of the most awesome things you will ever eat.  The pecan pralines are a bonus and if I hadn't already had the pecans in the house for another recipe I would have just left them out.  The ice cream stands alone all by itself.






Here is son #2 enjoying the yummy:

Original recipe from Cheeky Kitchen and ever so slightly adapted.

Pumpkin Praline Ice Cream
1 pint heavy cream (2 cups)
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup pumpkin
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tbs brown sugar

Place the cream, sweetened condensed milk, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice into the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until the mixture is incorporated and fluffy, atleast a few minutes.

In a small, nonstick saucepan, heat the pecans, maple syrup, and brown sugar together until the sugar and
syrup start to thicken around the pecans. Transfer to a piece of parchment and allow to cool.

Crumble the mapled pecans on top of the cream mixture. Stir until the pecans are evenly distributed throughout. Transfer the ice cream to a bread pan (or plastic container). Cover with a large plastic bag (or plastic lid) and place in your freezer overnight.

Servings: 10
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 8 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment