Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Brown Sugar Cookies


For me dessert is love.  Somehow making something sweet for my family is my deepest form of showing affection.  I'm not sure if my family quite understands the place that my baking comes from.  The depth of my heart and soul that I am sharing with them everytime I feed them something sweet. Cookies are the truest form of my affection, they are the perfect dessert. 

It goes far beyond my love for feeding them sugary confections.  It is the cup of hot coffee I bring my husband each morning before I leave for work.  My quiet and gentle way of getting him ready for what the world has in store for him. Or the homemade hot chocolate son #2 looks forward to after school on cold and blustery days.  The inevitable jammies at 4pm that are sure to follow and the stories about his day.  The way that I am sure to prepare son #1's favorite dishes and invite him to try new adventures when he comes home to visit me.  I love that he looks forward to dinner at my house. The thoughtful replies when I bring a friend a plate of cookies or my co-workers a loaf of bread.  Joy that fills me when I see someone eating my food is indescribable.  I am not a particularly warm and fuzzy person, I don't shower my loved ones with affection, try as I might.  If I am feeding you, know that it is because I love you, and I am loving you with the deepest part of my soul. 

These cookies speak to my soul, an instant favorite.  They are crisp around the edges, soft on the inside (like me!), and coated with sugar.  What's not to love?   



Brown Sugar Cookies original recipe here
14 Tbs unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp table salt
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 Tbs vanilla extract

In 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, heat 10 tablespoons butter until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and transfer browned butter to the heat-proof bowl of a stand mixer. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter to melt; set aside to cool for 15 minutes.

While butter is cooling, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

In shallow baking dish or pie plate, mix granulated sugar and 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, rubbing between fingers, until well combined; set aside.

Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside.

Add remaining 1 3/4 cups brown sugar and salt to bowl with cooled butter; attach paddle and mix on medium-low speed until no sugar lumps remain, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula; add egg, yolk, and vanilla and mix on medium-low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined, about 1 minute.

If needed, refrigerate dough until it is workable with your hands. I like to do this because the butter is no longer at room temperature and the cookies won't spread and be too crispy as they would have otherwise.  I like softer, puffier cookies

Roll two heaping tablespoons of dough into ball between your palms, roll the ball in the sugar mixture, and then place it on the prepared baking sheet spacing the balls about 2 inches apart. (I found that these spread quite a bit so I played it safe and put 6 to a sheet - and even then they ran into each other.).

Bake one sheet at a time until cookies are browned and still puffy and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will look raw between cracks and seem underdone); 12 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking.

Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes then using a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to the rack to cool completely.

Servings: 24
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 14 minutes
Inactive Time: 30 minutes

2 comments:

  1. Mmm these cookies look perfect and so delicious!! Great recipe and photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great Heidi! They make me think of Snickerdoodles but made with browned butter. I love how you said the texture was; that's my favorite kind of cookie.

    ReplyDelete