Sunday, September 25, 2011

Loaded Banana Bread






Last night my son had a sleepover with one of the boys from his baseball team.  We went to see Moneyball which we all really loved but if you don't love baseball, I'm not sure that you'd love this movie.  You may find it pretty snooze worthy since it lacks action as a whole and focuses on the sport itself.  Now I have saved the book on my kindle list.  It is written by the same man who wrote The Blindside so it makes sense that I would enjoy it.  My husband thinks that I am of a rare breed, the wife that loves sports.  I don't know how true that is.  Do most of you not like sports?

After the movie, the kids played video games, ate pizza and ice cream, and stayed up a wee past their midnight bedtime.  I probably woke up half a dozen times last night thinking I heard the television or a giggle, or a squeaky room door opening and closing.  Each time I quietly opened our bedroom door to check on the boys and each time I heard silence coming from the room they were in.  What I did hear was the pounding of rain, the rustling of leaves, and the howling of the wind through one of the windows on our second floor that had remained open.  Needless to say I was thankful for my cup of coffee this morning.

This bread would have gone so well with that cup of coffee this morning but it is long gone.  I made this over a week ago but I have been unable to, until now, come up with any accompanying words.  This isn't your momma's banana bread.  This one is loaded with chocolate chips, coconut, and walnut, and it is hearty and filling.  Perfect for a breakfast or snack. 



Loaded Banana Coconut Loaf
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup banana (ripe and mashed)
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup sweetened coconut, shredded
1/2 cup walnuts finely chopped
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat two 9x5x3 inch or similar size panw with cooking spray.

Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt into a bowl.

In a larger bowl beat eggs, sugar, vegetable oil.  Add buttermilk, ripe bananas, and vanilla.  Beat until combined.  Add flour mixture and continue to combine.

Fold in coconut, nuts, and chocolate chips.  Transfer to baking pans.

Bake in oven 1 hour, or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Let cool on rack for 10 minutes.  Then, if desired, turn loaf onto rack and let cool completely.

Servings: 20
Yield: 1 loaf
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour


3 comments: