Friday, September 30, 2011

Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies (with bread flour)




I have temporarily (hopefully) lost my story telling mojo.  Did you know that it took me nearly a week to compose the text of my last post?  It isn't writer's block, exactly.  It's more a confidence thing as in I'm questioning my blogging abilities.  Not that I question my blog because really I do this for me but I have been questioning my ability to capture an audience and sustain it.  That isn't me at all, I don't question things like that.  I do things with confidence just because and I don't seek approval along the way.  I'm finding myself wanting approval and I'm trying to get back to my regularly scheduled mental program.

One thing that I hope helps me get back to that comfortable mental place is yesterday's google blog feed.   I saw this post and it looked awfully familiar.  Okay, the recipe looked identical to this post of mine.  Then I kept reading and noticed that she linked me.  I felt the link love, I really did!  Warm, and fuzzy, and accepted.  Just like warm blanket snuggles with my boys.  This has never happened to me before so it felt like a blogging milestone.  Too dramatic?  It's the little things that carry us over those little road blocks in life, right?

Now for the cookies.  I've been seeing recipes on the web for dark chocolate chip cookies that were made with bread flour.  They are everywhere and as usual I am at the back of the pack as far as food trends go but I still wanted to give it a go.  I think they are a bit chewier than my normal chocolate chip cookie but I honestly didn't have this AHA kind of moment and think *this* is why you use bread flour in a cookie.  Still, they are good and definitely worthy of your consumption.



Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies (with bread flour)
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons bread flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups dark chocolate chips or chunks

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough for about 20 minutes, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.  Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in a airtight container.

Servings: 36
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F

3 comments:

  1. I think you have great blogging abilities and I wouldn't lie about that; I'd just not say anything if I didn't think it. But I can understand how you feel because I feel the same way quite often. But honest... don't give up; you're great! :-)

    And I want those cookies. Need my address? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm there is nothing better than a traditional chocolate chip cookie, these sound amazing! Love the use of dark chocolate! :)

    ReplyDelete