Friday, August 12, 2011

Sweet Orange Salmon and Nutty Basmati Rice


Today is Friday which means the week is over.  The week of Kip and I having the house all to ourselves.  A week of catching up on cleaning (no activities to cart the kids to everyday), cooking (yay!) movies, baseball, pre-season football (squee), and each other. 

Going on a vacation with your husband is very different than being alone in your home together.  Vacations are filled with sleeping in a strange bed, making the most of your schedule and seeing as much as you can.  It can cause stress and bitchiness and doesn't always lay the ground work for re-connection. Okay, maybe that's just me (as in I'm the bitchy one) but I'm just fessing up here.   Sleeping in your own bed night after night and having the comforts of home bring on a whole new meaning to connecting with your spouse.   I can say that this past week with my husband has been ten fold better than the recent vacation we took to San Francisco together.  Our vacation was nice but staying home was fantastic.

I cooked this meal for the mister and I on Monday and we both really enjoyed it.  It is sweet and has a citrusy punch that really wakes up your tastes buds.  I decided to accompany this with a nice rice dish but I am very inexperienced in the rice category.  I have only in the past year learned to cook regular plain' ol white rice on a consistent basis without an epic fail.  I am now venturing out of the plain ol white rice category and trying different varieties.  This was my first go at basmati and I knew that I wanted something nutty to contrast the salmon.  This was the perfect dish.  Enjoy!

Sweet Orange Salmon
2 Tbs brown sugar
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp grated orange rind
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp black pepper
4 6 oz salmon filets

Combine brown sugar through black pepper in a small bowl.  Rub spice mixture onto salmon filets.  Place on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray.  Broil 8 minutes or until fish flakes easily.

*We grilled this in a tin foil boat for about the same amount of time.  Oh how I love our grill.*

Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 minutes

Nutty Basmati Rice (courtesy of food network)
1/2 cup slivered almonds
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup basmati rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Place almonds in a medium saucepan and set pan over medium heat. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, until lightly golden brown, shaking the pan frequently to prevent burning. Add chicken broth, rice, salt, and black pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.

Fluff with a fork before serving.

1 comment: