Saturday, August 27, 2011

Slow Cooker Pork Tacos With Mango Salsa

I have two fruit trees in my back yard: peach and pear.  We moved into our home in July of 2009.  That year we had a decent stretch of hot weather and both trees produced fruit.  I had a heyday making pies and jams and other yummy fruit things.  Last year was chillier and I had a dismal return on my peach tree but still managed to get a batch of jam out of the deal.  My pear tree yielded no return.  Not a single stinking pear.  This year my peach tree has one lonely, sad, pathetic fruit on it and somehow my pear tree has managed maybe a dozen of the tiniest pears you will ever see but if I am right they aren't going to grow large enough to ripen before the weather turns down right cold again. 

Our neighborhood is lined with blackberries and during the summer I watch in anticipation as the fruits develop and in September I go out with my bowl and harvest.  As of this writing the blackberries have only begun to bud.  No beautiful colors yet and I wonder if they will ripen before the calendar says it is too late.  Blueberry picking started nearly 6 weeks late and since it has only been going for a few weeks I have yet to make it out to our local u-pick farm.

Sure, I could go and buy these fruits at the farmer's market or grocery store but part of me is very defiant about this whole thing.  How could I possibly do that when I *should* be able to go in my back yard and pluck one from the tree?  I can't, I just can't.

So while other blogs are bringing you wonderful seasonal recipes I bring you something that may appear more fall like which utilizes a slow cooker.  Luckily, I can still find mangos at the supermarket so I freshen this up a bit with mango salsa.  It's a to die for, out of this world, family meal.  We lick our plates clean every time.   


Shredded Pork Tacos
1 lb pork loin
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 cup onion, minced
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs olive oil
4 ounces green chilies
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 dash salt
2 Tbs white wine (or chicken broth)

 Put all the ingredients, in no specific order, in the crock pot and cook on low for about 8 hours or until done.

Once the pork is cooked all the way through shred and serve on warm tortillas with your choice of toppings.

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 hours

Mango or Peach Salsa
1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped mango or peaches
1 medium red sweet pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
4 oz diced green chilies
1 Tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp finely shredded lime peel
1 Tbs lime juice
1 Tbs vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients and chill until serving.

Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 30 minutes

2 comments: