Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Quick Cheddar Bread


*om*  *om* *om*  I have a moment to breathe!  It's a quick moment but I am taking advantage nonetheless.  Yesterday as I got off work at 3:30pm I walked into my house and got on my jammies for the day.  Nevermind that it was 70 degrees and beautiful out.  I made dinner and fell asleep on the couch by 8 that evening while the sunlight was still beaming in our windows.  I am exhausted.  Truly, absolutely, exhausted.  I'm feeling pretty thankful that I don't have anything going on in the evening this week.  This afternoon I may even bake AND clean my kitchen. 

Then I turn my head and look at my husband who functions on a level that I can't even fathom.  That man needs a medal and a raise.  I'm pretty sure he takes on the work load of three humans.  He works his ass off and comes home and does it some more.....while I am napping on the couch.  Perhaps I will bake him some cookies.  Yes, that is what I will do.

I found this lovely loaf of bread on Monday evening at a food related forum I am a member of.  It was posted by another member in response to a request for batter bread.  It was perfect.  I had all the ingredients on hand, it took just minutes to whip up, and it would go perfectly with the chili I had decided to throw together for dinner.  We at the entire loaf in 48 hours.  The original recipe is here at food.com.  I changed it up a bit and have marked those changes below. 

If your house isn't 120 degrees inside then you should bake this bread.  If your house is 120 degrees inside because you are suffering from the nation's heat wave, please don't turn on your oven.  Save this recipe for October.  Me?  I live in northwestern Washington and it's been 74 and cloudy.  Turning the oven on only gives me the illusion that it is summer by making the inside temp of my home a warm and toasty 73 degrees without air conditioning.

Cheddar Cheese Quick Bread
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 Tbs butter, melted
2 cups bread flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 Tbs sugar
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 5 x 9 loaf pan.

2. In a large measuring cup or bowl whisk together egg, milk, and butter. (I like to use a large measuring cup, measure my milk, then dump the rest of the wet ingredients in and combine.)

3. In a seperate bowl whisk together bread flour, baking powder, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and dry mustard..

4. Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir to combine.  Sprinkle in grated cheese and continue to mix until well incorporated.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Servings: 10
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F

1 comment:

  1. Well lucky for me my house is cool enough for me to make this :-) Definitely trying this weekend and let you know how it goes. BTW your looks delicious. Thanks

    ReplyDelete