Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Peanut Butter Puddles






I found this recipe in a cookbook that I picked up at the library a few months ago and knew immediately that I had to make them.  Making them immediately, however, did not happen.   I'm a bit of an on a whim baker, looking through recipes when the moment strikes me, and even though this has happened probably a dozen times since saving this recipe I was missing a critical ingredient; I don't keep peanut butter cups in the house.  I finally got around to buying some mini peanut butter cups at the store last week so I knew it was time to give this recipe a go.

I got out all my ingredients and then read the recipe.  Oops, I copied it down from the book wrong!  Butter was in the instructions but not in my ingredient list so I did what I always do and I binged (bing'd? cause binged looks a little bit like I had later purged, which I did not) it.  Note the use of the word bing rather than google.  I'm trying to not be so cliche and say google when I really do bing things these days. 

I found this blog entry from several years ago using the same cookie recipe.  I was disappointed with her comments about the filling.  I wanted something soft and "ooey gooey" as the original recipe infers but apparently this wasn't it.  Instead of bagging the idea all together I decided to play around with the filling and see what I could come up with.  Luckily, it turned out well on the first try.  It is now a soft center and it is oh so good.  I have no idea how my variation stacks up to the original or if they are, in fact, at all different.  They may taste the same but they are tasty nonetheless.

Peanut Butter Puddles
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup butter flavored shortening
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups chopped peanut butter cup candies
filling:
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Stack two baking sheets together and line up sheet with parchment paper.

In a mixing bowl cream butter and shortening together until well blended.  Add peanut butter and sugars and blend well.  Fold in eggs and vanilla.

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add to mixing bowl.  Fold in chocolate chips and peanut butter candies.

Blend all filling ingredients in a food processor 2 to 3 minutes to make a paste.

For each cookie form a golf-ball size round of dough and gently press onto prepared baking sheets.  Deposit a large spoonful of filling into each round of cooke dough, mostly in the center and press lightly.

Bake until just set about 12 to 15 minutes.  Let cool on baking sheets atleast 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack.

Servings: 32
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F

No comments:

Post a Comment