Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Margarita Pie


Recipes like these were a dime a dozen back in the early to mid-90's and I remember them fondly because that is when I began my first real interest in food.  Browsing through magazines and cookbooks, I would cut out the recipes that interested me and place them in one of those plastic accordian type folders and when I had enough I would take out my old photo album that I had converted into a recipe book.  Peeling back the film of the page, I would arrange my recipes, and hope that the sticky pages would still stick.  Oh what a sad day it was when the glue-like pages had lost it's magic and my recipes slid out the bottom of the pages.  Do you remember those old photo albums? 

For the past year I have been stockpiling cake recipes for my birthday.  They were very involved and required a lot of time but the end result was something I had made out to be wondeful in my mind.  It was going to be fabulous and worthy of the cover of a magazine!  It would get rave reviews!  Everybody would love it!  But, when the week of my birthday rolled around, I knew that I didn't have the energy or time to dedicate to such a huge undertaking.  I was a bit sad and defeated but I knew that I just didn't have it this year.  I steered my attention toward something a bit easier, a simple refrigerator pie.  I knew I didn't want chocolate or peanut butter, because while these are my favorite things, I had consumed enough of the combination recently.  So I did a bit of digging and found this old recipe for margarita pie from the 90's that I had stashed away.  The original called for cool whip but I must admit that I can't bring myself to purchase the stuff anymore so I used whipped cream instead.  Do whatever your heart desires.

I ate all but two pieces of this pie in a matter of 3 days.  On the last day I had an entire half on my own.  I knew my family wouldn't love it and I had guessed that my husband probably wouldn't even taste it but for this day that was okay. 






Margarita Pie
1 1/4 cups crushed pretzels, crushed fine
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup lime juice
1 Tbs tequila
1 Tbs triple sec
1 cup whipped cream

Melt the butter in a medium size microwavable bowl, add in the sugar and pretzels and mix well.  Press into a 9" pie pan.

Mix the condensed milk, and stir well to combine.  Then fold in the whipped cream. Pour into the pie shell and freeze 4-8 hours covered.

Servings: 8
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 8 hours

3 comments:

  1. You had me at margarita! This pie looks gorgeous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously drooling over your amazing Margarita Pie...oh, my...LOL it rimes!

    ReplyDelete