Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Scandanavian Almond Cake and Honey Lime Fruit Salad

In the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle there is a little neighborhood bakery that my son and I would frequent.  It was on the way to school each morning and on occasion I would treat him by stopping by for a doughnut and a carton of milk.  My treat was an almond square or an almond mezzarine square which I would gobble up in a matter of minutes along with a decent cup of coffee. Oh, how I love almonds.

When I saw this recipe in a cookbook I checked out at the library I knew I had to make it and I knew that when I ate it it would remind me of Larsen's bakery in Ballard.  I was right.  It made me happy because it was awesome.  I ate it with fruit salad and called it breakfast.

Isn't it pretty uncut?

The whole bowl

Scandinavian Almond Cake
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
2/3 cup cream
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray 4 x 8 cake pan with non-stick spray and fit a piece of parchment paper on the bottom.  Sprinkle sliced almonds on the bottom of prepared cake pan.

Melt butter in microwave.  Pour butter through a cheese cloth or tea strainer.  Throw away milk solids.  Let clarified butter cool.

Mix the sugar and egg together on medium speed until light and fluffy.  Add the baking powder and almond extract.  Mix in clarified butter.

Add half of the flour and mix well.  Add half the cream and mix well.  Repeat.  Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until center comes out clean.

Let the loaf sit on a wire rack for 15 minutes then loosen the sides of the pan with a knife.  Tip the cake out on to a pretty paltter and remove parchment paper  Dust with powdered sugar.

Servings: 16
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Oven Temperature: 350°F

Honey Lime Fruit Toss
20 oz pineapple chunks
11 oz mandarin oranges, drained
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
2 kiwifruit, peeled, halved, and sliced
2 Tbs lime juice
1 Tbs honey
1/4 tsp grated lime peel

Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice; set juice aside.  In a large bowl combine the pineapple, mandarin oragnes, strawberries, and kiwi.

In a small bowl comine lime juice honey, lime peel, and reserved pineapple juice.  Pour over fruit; toss to combine.

Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes



7 comments:

  1. Such gorgeous pictures and that almond cake looks so delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake sounds wonderful. I love almonds.....I live in Seattle I am going to have to check out this bakery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. heidi's copper kettleJuly 14, 2011 at 1:34 PM

    S.V. you really should check it out - some very good things there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oo, i love almonds too! and what a pretty white crumb this cake has. it looks wonderful with the salad (or without!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful cake - I love the presentation colouring with fruits :D
    Top blog!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself

    ReplyDelete