Sunday, July 3, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes

I know, this isn't really a stretch as far as a blog contribution for the 4th of July is concerned.  You will find variations of this recipe everywhere this week,  but I do have an excuse!  We are leaving town on July 5th so I'm pretty preoccupied packing and shopping and making sure we have everything for our fabulous trip.  I'm relying on things I know that work and I'm not experimenting this year.  Please forgive me. 

Befrore last 4th of July I had never had a red velvet cupcake let alone made one and they turned out to be a huge hit.  All 18 cupcakes were gone in a matter of 12 or so hours consumed by only the 4 individuals in my family.  If you have a really big mouth (um, and we totally do in my family) you can squish these yummy cupcakes in 2 or 3 bites.  So you see, they are more like a snack than a dessert, and we ate them accordingly, one after the other.

I tried to make these cupcakes pretty, I really did, but in the process all I did was torture myself.  I want pretty cupcakes like on the other blogs but I just don't have it.  All those pretty tips and frosting bags are going in the trash.  I hate them and I never want to see them again. I can't pretend to like something I don't just because I think that's what I should do because I have a blog.  So there, I am being true to myself. 

Also, did you know that I am messy?  Do you see all the pretty red, white, and blue candies on top of my cupcakes?  True to form while frosting my cupcakes and placing them on the platter I knocked over my bottle of water (where was the cap???) which knocked over the container of candies I had just opened all over the floor, along with the water.  Luckily, I didn't freak out swiping the side of the platter, knocking them also to the floor.  Nope, I didn't do that and for that I am thoroughly impressed.  It was only a partial disaster.  YAY!






Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2  cup  unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 ounce red food coloring
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 Tbs cocoa powder
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon  vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons whipping cream or milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 18 cupcake cups or line with paper liners.

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add food coloring and mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl.

Sift flour, salt, and cocoa powder together.  Add to butter mixture.

One at a time, add the following ingredients: buttermilk, and vanilla,, beating after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl.

In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and the baking soda. Fold it into the cake batter. Make sure it's incorporated, but don't beat it. Pour the batter into the cupcake cup, filling nearly to the top (they will not puff up a lot). Bake for  20-25minutes, until the cake springs back when touched. Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes, then turn out of pan and onto a rack to finish cooling completely.

For the frosting cream together cream cheese and butter until smooth.  Add in vanilla.  Slowly add in powdered sugar until reaching desired consistency.

Frost each cupcake before serving and decorate with candied sugars or other decors before serving if desired.

Servings: 18
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F

2 comments:

  1. I think these look great as is, with no fancy decorating. I suck at that too. (Didya see my latest cake disaster on my blog? Talk about a mess lol) And been there, done that on the knocking things over and creating complete chaos. :-P
    Have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet! Yes, I did see your latest cake "disaster", it has happened to me more times than I can count. :/ I love that I have a partner in chaos kitchen creating. I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete