Thursday, July 28, 2011

Balsamic BBQ sauce on grilled chicken


This has been one of my busiest summers. Ever.  You know those jokes about soccer moms?  Well the same can be said for any sport I suppose, and I am currently a summer tournament baseball widow.  Please don't get me wrong because this truly is one of my most favorite times of the year (I love baseball and I love the camaraderie between families it instills), it's just that it is so darned busy.  Every weekend except two from June through Labor Day is dedicated to baseball.  Baseball practice, waking up at 6am on a Saturday to travel to a tournament an hour away, playing 3 games, and driving back home again.  All within 12 hours.  Then on Sunday we do it again. 

My weekends are typically when I immerse myself in cooking.  Planning, shopping, cooking, taking pictures, and planning posts for the week to come.  I don't have that time right now and I'm really starting to miss it.  I love my blog.  I love cooking and I love writing and I love putting myself out there.  It's so much fun for me.  I miss it terribly but I know that it has to be on the back burner for now.  Summer will be over before I know it and I will have plenty of time on my hands to be back here.  For now I will enjoy every second with my family.

Balsamic Barbecue Sauce
Everyday Italian
1 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and stir until all the ingredients are incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Simmer over medium heat until reduced by 1/3, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Excellent over chicken.

Servings:  about 1 1/2 cups of sauce
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes

6 comments:

  1. Enjoy your time with your family. That's what summer is all about. We horseback ride and do soccer here so I hear ya. We're at the barn every day with our horse. Soccer on weekends. I figure enjoy every moment of it though. Time flies by and then they grow up. Love this recipe. Looks super delicious. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful chicken. What great color. I bet the flavors are just as strong. Enjoy your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great weekend! Enjoy the chicken, it's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss those summer tournaments SO much! My mom was a trooper too. Hope you haven't been forgetting the sunscreen. Does your boy ever play at Petter Kirk? I think that's the name. The one in Kirkland next to the library. I alway loved those hot dogs topped with sauteed onions, but this chicken seems like a way better option!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mikaela, we haven't played in Kirkland yet. We've had tournaments in Yakima, Auburn, Lacey, and Redmond, and Moses Lake (camping!) so far. :)

    ReplyDelete