Saturday, June 18, 2011

Root Beer Float Cake


Yesterday was my sweet husband's birthday.  Happy Birthday hunny!!  Allow me to gush a bit and get a slightly personal.  Here are a few of my favorite pictures of my sweetie and me. 

This was taken by my sister at my brother's wedding in 2009.  Don't we look happy and in love?

This was taken last summer at Lake Crescent on our way back from Forks, WA.

Back to you regularly scheduled cake post.

No birthday is complete without cake.  This particular cake is something I originally found at Brown Eyed Baker and saved because I knew it would be perfect for a particular special day. I did make a few changes that I have noted below but I am not the inspiration for such a wonderful recipe. 

Kip loves root beer and when I saw this cake I knew that it would be the perfect way to celebrate his day. It is delicious and has a rather strong root beer flavor which is what I was hoping for.  Vanilla ice cream is a requirement to really make this cake as awesome as it can be.






Root Beer Float Cake
For the Root Beer Bundt Cake:
1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups root beer (do not use diet root beer)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
For the Root Beer Fudge Frosting:
2 oz dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup root beer
2/3 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Generously spray the inside of a 10-inch bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray, or butter the pan and dust with flour, shaking out the excess flour; set aside.

In a medium saucepan add the cocoa powder.  Slowly add in the root beer, whisking until the mixture is smooth.  Add in butter and stir until melted.  Whisk in sugars until dissolved then remove pan from heat and let cool slightly.

Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.  Whisk in root beer mixture until combined.  In a small bowl gently beat eggs and then add to the cake batter; mixing to combine.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for for about an hour,  rotating the pan halfway through the baking time.  Insert a toothpick to check for doneness. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Gently loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and turn it out onto a cake stand.

To make frosting beat butter in a medium bowl until light and fluffy.  Add in melted chocolate and beat to
combine.  Add in cocoa powder 1/3 cup at a time, beating after each addition.  Add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time alternating with root beer.  Beat until mixture is smooth.  Using a spatula frost completely cool cake.

Servings: 12
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Inactive Time: 1 hour
Oven Temperature: 325°F

3 comments:

  1. Two slices for me please! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he had a wonderful birthday. :) Amazing cake...it looks rich and so moist. Love that root beer flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. heidis copper kettleJune 21, 2011 at 12:28 PM

    He had a great day! The cake is nearly gone, probably two pieces left, so I'll save it for you Tiffany. :)

    ReplyDelete