Friday, June 24, 2011

Light and Lemony "Scones"

It's always nice to recieve compliments and an empty platter back when I bring in baked goods for my fellow co-workers.  It makes me happy.  These aren't scones in the traditional sense but everyone who tried them told me how much that they like my scones and how impressed they were that they were so light.  I wasn't about to tell them that what I had intended to make for them was an Italian iced cookie so I went with it.  Probably for the best to just go with the flow on this one.  I don't know what an Italian iced cookie is suppose to taste like anyways so I may have completely missed the mark anyways.

I'm really glad my co-workers liked these "scones" because a lot of ice, cursing,whining, and even an ace bandage went into making them.  That's right, while in my kitchen baking, I twisted my knee.  I feel so dang old saying that.  One twist of my waist that my knee decided not to follow through on and a huge POP was heard.  Dude.  I think I'm turning into my mother who at every turn would twist her ankle.  Yeah, there she is wearing that brace again, I'd say to myself. Now it's me limping around the house and taking ten minutes to climb the stairs.   Climbing the stairs does help burn off the calories from these scones so maybe I should stop complaining.

Light and Lemony "Scones"
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup shortening
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1 lemon, juice of
1 tsp lemon, zest of
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 Tbs water

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Blend the white sugar and shortening until light. Beat in the eggs, milk, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix until well blended.

Combine the flour, baking powder and salt.  Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture. Mix until combined (the dough will be sticky). Drop spoonfuls of dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheets.

Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Cool on cooling rack.

Mix together confectioners' sugar and water.  Glaze while resting on wire rack. 

Servings: 48
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F





1 comment:

  1. This sounds so refreshing! I love lemon in desserts. I, too, love when I take a plate of baked goods to work and they are devoured in no time, it is a great compliment!

    ReplyDelete