Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Five Veggie Summer Salad


Since writing my last post (wrote it last Monday but didn't post until Thursday) I've basically been out of commission.  Remember my sprained knee?  Well, it hasn't gotten any better and this morning before work I finally gave in and went to urgent care.  Turns out I tore the cartilidge in my knee and the doctor thought I may need arthroscopic surgery to fix it.  It's an injury that does not easily heal and will probably plague me from here on out off and on for years to come if I don't pursue surgery.  Lovely.  Just lovely. It is more an annoying injury than painful but has limited my ability to stand for long periods of time or move with ease so I've taken it very easy in the kitchen over the last week. 

Also, my husband and I have a San Francisco getaway planned for next week and I hope that I am able to enjoy it the way I want which will also allow my sweet husband to enjoy his vacation as well. As much as this is my vacation because it's a city I have never visited but always wanted to, this vacation is something that my husband needs more than I.  He works so hard day in and day out and forgets that he needs to take care of himself in order to be able to take care of everybody else.  This time away is for him.  We have a lot of walking planned, and while walking was given the green light in general, I don't want to be hobbling around everywhere.  So, please please please, to the powers that be, I'd like a temporary repreive so we can enjoy our vacation. 

I'm sad about the whole thing really.  It is making me feel very old for some reason but I'm not!  I'm still just a baby!  I do plan to see my primary doctor and get a referral to a surgeon so please forgive me if I share those things here.  It's a pretty big thang for me! 

One of the things that I did manage to make was this delicous five vegetable summer salad last evening.  It's delicious.  Quickly sauteed vegetables until just crips tender, tossed with italian dressing and fresh herbs, then chilled.  So perfect for a summer day!  Does 68 and muggy with overcast skies qualify as a summer day? I guess it'll have to since summer officially started a week ago.  Here's the recipe, enjoy!

Five Veggie Summer Salad
1 cup fresh green beans
1 cup yellow summer squash, sliced
1 cup zucchini, sliced
olive oil
2 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 cup coarsely grated carrots
1/2 cup italian salad dressing
4 tsp parsley
2 tsp basil

In a saucepan saute green beans, squash, and zucchini in olive oil.  Cook until crisp tender.

Place vegetables in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients.  Gently stir to coat.  Transfer to fridge and refrigerate atleast an hour.  Stir before serving.

Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes

1 comment:

  1. Mmm this looks so delicious and super healthy! Great blog have you here and glad to be a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete