Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cocoa Fudge Cake


I've been on a bit of a cake thing lately.  I've never been much of a cake girl before but I'm learning that there is something very inviting about having a pan of cakey goodness sitting on the counter that I can sink my teeth into.  Er, pretend that I didn't really have a piece of because what I did was cut the 13x9 cake straight across rather than actually cutting a piece.  So, technically I didn't have a piece, meaning I didn't have any, and no, YOU (as in everybody else in my house) can't tell I had a piece either.  Yes, that's it, that's why I love cake.

I wanted to:
a) make a cake   
b) make a cake I'd never had before   
c) make a cake that my family would eat
c) make a cake that was chocolate

I can't help it.  I love chocolate and while I love experimenting with other flavors too, those flavors just don't get consumed in my house.  I wanted to make something that would get eaten this time.  Was that too much to ask? 

This cake isn't pretty and in fact it shrunk considerably away from the sides of the pan after I poured the hot frosting over it.  Yes, I said that I poured hot frosting all over the cake, directly out of the oven.  The chocolately goodness that is frosting get all absorbed into the cake giving it a fudgy texture.   It's actually much better the next day so if you can make it a day ahead I recommend it. 

Cocoa Fudge Cake
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup butter
1 cup water
3 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanila extract
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 cup butter
3 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup milk
16 oz powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, stir together the flour and sugar.  Set aside. Put the butter, water, and cocoa powder into a saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Pour the cocoa mixture over the sugar and flour and mix it all together.

Whisk the milk, vanilla, baking soda, and eggs together in a bowl.  Add the egg mixture to the large bowl.  Stir in until incorporated.  Pour the batter into a 13 x9 pan that has been greased.  Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake begins to pull away from the pan.

When the cake has about 5 minutes left on the timer make the frosting.  Place the butter, cocoa powder, and milk in a medium sauce pan.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until the frosting is thickened but still pourable.  Pour the frosting over the hot cake just as it comes out of the oven and quickly spread with a spatula.

Servings: 12
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F

4 comments:

  1. wooohooooo yummy,i love blogs that put quality recipes,picture really doesnt matter.i have seen blogs where you can clearly make out that they have taken at least more than 2 hrs to get the perfect pic.if i had made this fudge cake,i would have just taken one pic and then dug into it,iam sure you did too:)
    following you for sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know....this looks so very good to me.....it wants to be in my tummy...yes yes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really really good! You all should try it. :)

    ReplyDelete