Thursday, June 30, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm not going to lie: this may be the best cookie you will ever eat.  My husband has mentioned in the past that this is a recipe I probably shouldn't post here on my blog.  That I should hold it tightly to my heart, under lock and key, and never share it with the world.  He's sweet to think that I have something going for me with my chocolate chip cookie recipe.  A fortune to be made perhaps?  A mail order cookie business in the making?  Baking and cooking is not only the science of following a recipe but also the art of techinque and the passion for the process.  I can't bottle that up so I've decided to share.  I'm not sure that anybody else can make my cookies taste just the way I do but now you the chance to give me a run for my money.

Everybody has a go to chocolate chip cookie recipe or is on the search for one, or is hunting for that one trick that will take theirs over the edge.  The edge of bliss.  I started out by making the cookie on the back of the bag of the chocolate chips that I would buy.  It was a good cookie and I liked it (usually) but sometimes I wouldn't get great results.  Sometimes my cookies would be swimming in puddles of butter, and sometimes I would have a flat cookie disk with protruding chocolate chips that looked pathetic and ugly and didn't taste much better.  I was looking for consistency and I wasn't getting it.  So I took that recipe on the back of the bag and started to question some things.  Why did it call for butter or margarine? What would happen if I used one of the other or both?  How big is the right size?  How many cookies to a sheet?  The dough is too "runny" so what would happen if I added more flour?  Why do so many chocolate chips end up at the bottom of the bowl of dough and don't mix in?

This recipe is a work in progress and years in the making and I will probably never be done with making it mine, but for now this is what it is, and I will share it with you.  When I think I've got something better, I'll share that too.  What's a world if nobody shared recipes?  A sad one, of that I am certain!

It's a very sweet soft cookie that isn't gonna crunch when you bite into it.  It uses slightly less than a standard bag of chocolate chips (annoying, I know!) but that's just how I like it.  It isn't going to rise like a cake but it isn't going to be flat either.  To me, in this moment, it is perfect just the way it is.




Chocolate Chip Cookies
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup shortening (butter flavored, I use Crisco)
1/2 cup butter
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
10 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl mix together sugasr and shortening with an electric or stand mixer. Add eggs one at a time beating after each addition. Add vanilla, beating to incorporate.

In a separate bowl sift together dry ingredients. Slowly add dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture while beating on medium speed. Fold in chocolate chips.

Using a large cookie scoop drop onto parchment covered cookie sheet. I usually get 9 cookies per sheet. Bake for 12 minutes.

Let stand for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.

Servings: 30
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 13 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F

No comments:

Post a Comment