Thursday, June 2, 2011

Beer Bread



My husband used to be what one would call a beer connoisseur.  He loved it so much that one Father's Day I purchased him an at home beer brewing kit.  It was a monstosity of a thing that we really had no space for so he finagled his way and his beer making kit into the apartment of a bachelor friend of his.  They made many batches of beer until they man-vorced.  Making beer in our suburban Seattle home with no garage would not be conducive to making me happy (the yeasty beer smell that I hate because I think beer is disgusting) so he decided that he liked drinking scotch better. 

Then we moved to a home with a garge in the suburbs but by then he had stopped drinking altogether.  He gifted the brew kit to our next door neighbor.  That neighbor pays us in bottles of beer with every batch and nobody will drink it.  It's a kind gesture and we always gladly accept.  These bottles of beer need a home.  I have a good turkey chili recipe that utilizes beer but beyond that I didn't have much.  I have never had a beer bread before but I thought that this would be a good way to use up one of the bottles sitting in my fridge.  I was right.  The taste of the hops comes through ever so slightly but even I don't mind that.  It's just plain delicious slathered with butter. 




Beer Bread
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
12 oz beer, room temp

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter, or spray, a loaf pan.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar into the bowl of a kitchenaid mixer.  Attach the dough hook and turn mixer on low.  Slowly add beer, increasing speed to incorporate thoroughly.

Place dough into prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes.  Let cool for atleast 10 minutes before removing from the pan and cutting.

Servings: 10
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Oven Temperature: 375°F

No comments:

Post a Comment