Monday, May 2, 2011

Whole Wheat Maple Quick Bread

On the morning of September 11, 2001 I was at home getting ready for work with my two young children, ages 7 and 1.  The morning news was not part of my daily routine, yet that morning, I felt compelled to turn on the television.  Within seconds I was in shock and horror about what was before me.  Shortly thereafter, I watched the second tower penetrated by a highjacked plane.  My heart sunk.  I didn't wan to go to work, I didn't want to carry on with my life but I knew that I had to.  Somehow I felt like a horrible person by simply being capable of carrying out my day. 

In a daze I dropped of my children and drove to work.  No work was to be done that day.  I worked at a small downtown Bend, Oregon law firm and one of the attorneys brought in a television.  We sat and watched the news that day.  We mourned. 

Nine and a half years later, on May 1, 2011, I was watching the Mets and Phillies play in Citizens Park on ESPN when I logged onto facebook.  I was bombarded with news that Osama bin Laden had been killed.  I turned my attention to CBS news and impatiently waited for the President to address the nation.  My husband and I clapped and I had tears streaming down my face.  My husband hung our American flag.  In this moment, I felt proud to be an American.

At a time like this making bread seemed appropriate. To me it is a symbol of earth and purity; simplicity and peace.  All things good.  Since I have not yet replaced my breadmaker and I have yet to become successful with yeast breads by hand I wanted to turn my attention to a quick bread but I wanted something hearty and earthy.  I used this bread as an inspiration changing it just a tiny bit to use what I had on hand.  What resulted was a beautiful quick bread that was delicious slathered in butter. 

Whole Wheat Maple Quick Bread
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup yogurt, vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 5x9 inch loaf pan.

In a bowl, mix the milk, yogurt, egg, maple syrup, and lemon juice. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the milk mixture until moistened. Pour into the prepared loaf pan.

Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean.

Servings: 10
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Oven Temperature: 375°F

No comments:

Post a Comment