Wednesday, May 18, 2011

English Muffins


Each week there I was at the store, just minding my own business, filling my basket with items for my family.  On a pretty regular basis this included store bought english muffins.  They are a handy snack and breakfast item and my boys will eat them so in the cart they would go.

Imagine my surprise when I learned I could make these myself at home. Purchasing things at the store is such a common place thing that it didn't even occur to me that these could be made at home.  How sad is that? 

I've got to tell you that once I had this recipe down it has been a rare occassion that I actually purchase them from the store.  Homemade tastes 23,980,238,283 times better than what you get at the store.  They do take time and effort and you do have to enjoy the process to keep you coming back to it, but if you do then this recipe is totally worth it.  Of course you can adapt the recipe to use your kitchen aid (I'm on a learning curve here but I am trying) or if you insist, by hand.

Now, if you have an animal at home like the one below I do warn you.  He may just enjoy eating your entire batch of dough rising on the counter (along with the waxed paper it was sitting on) while you are running to the bathroom.  I mean, you were gone for only a second, right?  But the english muffins are so good I started over immediately.  I guess that day I really was looking forward to an english muffin.



English Muffins originally posted at food.com
1 cup milk
3 Tbs butter
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbs all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp dry yeast

Put ingredients in the machine in the order listed. Start the dough cycle. When the cycle is finished divide the dough into two balls.  Make 6 equal balls out of each larger ball.  Place individual balls on a piece of parchment or waxed paper.

Cover and let rise until about double, about 20 minutes.

Heat a dry cast iron skillet or griddle over a low flame.  Spray mine with cooking spray.  Cook the muffins about 5 to 7 minutes on each side.  They should be golden brown when you turn them. It's easiest to do this in two batches.

Split the muffins with a fork or serrated knife and serve warm. So good with butter and jam!

These freeze well and can be reheated in the microwave or toasted.

Servings: 12
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 12 minutes
Inactive Time: 2 hours and 20 minutes

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. Home made English Muffins are so much better than store bought!

    ReplyDelete