Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Dulce de Leche Hot Chocolate


Lets' face it: spring has not come to the PNW.  It is not here, it feels like it will never be here, and I'm starting to secretly plan my move to either Arizona or Florida in my head.  I'm really starting to hate stongly be annoyed with the grey, the rain, the lack of sunshine, and temps that do not rise above 60 degrees.  Yesterday at my son's baseball game I wore a long sleeved t-shirt, a light Abercrombie sweatshirt, a fleece vest, and my jacket with hood.  Sometimes the sun would beat down and instantly I would be too warm for my jacket but those moments were fleeting.  I have no idea why I love living here so much because I am more suited for warmer climates.

Before we left for the game I knew that I needed something to warm my belly.  I had the link below bookmarked for a few weeks now and I had been itching to make it with a bit of a twist.  I have been on a dulce de leche kick recently and I don't see that changing anytime soon.  I still have other recipes up my sleeve utilizing this ingredient that is quickly becoming a favorite.  This recipe is so good and my son complimented me several times as he was drinking down his cup.  He is right, it is good in a way that is evil and bad, which makes it all the more better.  Enjoy!

Dulce de Leche Hot Chocolate inspired by Dunkin Cooking
3 ounces semisweet chocolate (chips are fine here)
1/4  cup  whipping cream
6  tablespoons dulce de leche
2 cups milk
1/4  teaspoon  salt
1/3 cup whipping cream

Heat the chocolate and whipping cream in a saucepan, whisking until smooth.

Add dulce de leche and whisk until combined.  Slowly stir in milk and salt, and let simmer.  Meanwhile beat the remaining whipping cream until stiff peaks form.

Transfer drink to a glass, and top with whipped cream.

Servings: 4 (ok, let's be honest, 2 people can easily drink this)
Cooking Times
Cooking Time: 10 minutes

2 comments:

  1. Such a cute mug and a wonderful hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just may be my new favorite chocolate beverage. So good!

    ReplyDelete