Sunday, May 29, 2011

David Arquette Cookies



The story goes that the woman whose recipe this is tinkered with the original Hershey's peanut butter blossom recipe until she came up with this.  Her husband was in a band in the Houston area and had occassion to meet David Arquette.  Once when he was at a show (or something) she fed David Arquette these cookies and he loved them.  She named the cookie after him. 

Years later she was on a parenting forum and shared this recipe.  I was on that forum as well.  I couldn't bear using only 1/4 cup cocoa so I increased it.  Now it's no longer her recipe.  I'm joking.  The thing is I have no idea her true identity nor do I remember her online ID.  If I knew either of those things I would tell you and credit the recipe to her. 

I admit that the cookie itself is a bit crumbly but with the butter it certainly isn't dry.  The trick to not crumble the cookie is to stick the whole darn thing in your mouth at once, munch, and follow with a nice glass of milk.  They also kind of look funny but I'm not complaining.  I just shut my eyes and eat.



David Arquette Cookies
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
2/3 cup sugar
1 Tbs vanilla extract
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup hershey's cocoa powder
42 or so Hershey's chocolate kisses (you'll get more than enough from a 12 ounce bag)

Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in large bowl until creamy. Sift together flour and cocoa; gradually add to butter mixture, stirring until well blended. Cover dough and refrigerate.

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. While oven is heating, unwrap chocolate kisses. Mold a scant tablespoon of dough around each chocolate piece, covering completely. Shape into balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Cool about 1 minute and remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Oven Temperature: 375°F

No comments:

Post a Comment