Thursday, May 5, 2011

Adobe Refried Beans


I really like the health benefits of beans and have learned to love the comforting aspect of eating a bowl or wrapping them up in a tortilla, both sprinkled with a generous serving of cheese.  However, they have always been bland to me and I find myself topping it with salsa or green chili sauce to give it an extra kick.  A while ago I found a recipe at Scarlett Bakes that had me very intrigued.  I tucked it away for the perfect day when the mood would strike me for comfort and the time allowed to wait for my dried beans to refresh in a bath of hot water. 

I adjusted the recipe a bit but not much and here is what I came up with:

Adobe Refried Beans
1 cup dried pinto beans, boiled in water until soft
1/4-1/2 cup broth (chicken or vegetable) or water
4 (or more or less depending on taste) chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 Tbs vegetable oil for frying

Place broth and beans into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process until just slightly chunky, about 10 seconds.  Add more broth if needed but be careful not to completely puree.

Add chipolte peppers, a drizzle of adobe sauce, cumin, and galic powder.  Taste beans to see if you want them hotter, if so add more chipolte peppers, but remember that the flavors will develop with time so don't add too many right away!

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add bean mixture and continue to cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, approximately 6-10 minutes. Test again for taste, you can add more chipolte peppers or adobe, if desired.

Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment