Saturday, April 30, 2011

Vanilla-Honey Peanut Butter

I found a recipe for Vanilla-Honey Peanut Butter yesterday as I was reading my google reader feed.  It was one of those moments that you know that you have to make that recipe.  Immediately.  I had everything I needed at home already so I had zero excuses.  The plan was to make it the second I walked in the door from getting off work.

Oh life, how you laugh at me. 

As I was driving home I get the usual phone call from my son Domo who gets home a few minutes before I do.  His usually sweet voice was frantic on the other end of the line.  Something about "this is so bad!" and "there is water everywhere!" jolted me awake from my dreams of making peanut butter.  Apparently he walked through the garage to enter the house as he does every afternoon to discover a huge puddle of water on the floor where I usually park my car and water dripping from the ceiling.  He raced upstairs to find that his toilet was overflowing!  Imagine asking a  tween questions like "is the water still runnning?" when you are not present to access the situation.   His answer was No.  Phew!  I'll be right home to help you clean up the mess I say. 

One, two minutes later, my cell phone rings again.  Turns out "is the water still running?" means two different things to an adult and a child.  Acutally yes it is mom and I'd like to know how to stop it he says in between sobs.  Poor baby!  *disclaimer* don't you ever tell my son I just called him a baby publicly on the internet! 

The drive home I have visions of my bathtub falling through the floor and landing in my garage along with a depleted savings account from having to remodel my bathroom.  This was not what I had intended for my afternoon!  After accessing the damage when I got home I was pretty concerned so I called out a plumber who checked everything out and assured me that we were fine.  Writing a small check for a bit of reassurance can be worth every penny. 

After feeling like I diverted a complete and utter disaster I remembered the peanut butter that I wanted to make so badly.  I was no longer in the mood but I decided to drag out my processor anyways and give this recipe a whirl.  It is sooooo good!  I've never made peanut butter before but I can honestly say that after doing so I don't think I'll buy store bought again.  It was so easy and and so delicious and so much healthier.  Not to mention you can add things like honey and vanilla.  Who'd a thought?  Certainly not me.

Vanilla Honey Peanut Butter
1 1/2 cups dry, roasted peanuts
1 1/2 Tbs oil (corn, or canola)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup honey

Add peanuts to a food processor and blend until a thick nut butter forms, about 7 minutes.

Stream in oil, the amount you use will depend on the consistency you want.  You may even want more.  Add in vanilla and honey. Continue to process until you reach desired consistency. I felt like I was processing forever but it really does take a long time to reach desired consistency.

Keep at room temperature for a week, or if keeping longer, refrigerate in a sealable container.

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment