Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spiced Shredded Beef Brisket

Today it is pouring.  It is one of those days in Western Washington where you just want to snuggle up on the couch with a cuppa (mine would be hot chocolate), a warm blanket, and a good book.   Luckily I've found my way back to reading recently and I am very greatful.  For years I didn't allow myself to even open up the cover of a book let alone snuggle up to one.  I guess having young children is bound to do that to you.  I love that I have found reading again.

Instead of sitting on my super comfy couch I was hulled up in the front seat of my Ford Expedition with the driver seat all the way back for some leg room, a long sleeved shirt, a wool sweater, a pink Columbia jacket, and a pink woven blanket.  I did have that book though.  Today was the last baseball practice before games start next week so there I was reading in the front seat.  If gas prices weren't nearly 4 dollars a gallon these days I would have zipped back home but doing that 4 days a week would add up pretty darn quick so there I sit, the mom reading a book in her car while her kid practices.  Is this really what my life has become?

Back at home after the lighting and thunder and pouring down rain cancelled practice, I find that dinner is already done.  Don't you just love that?  I love my slow cooker/crock pot more than nearly anything other appliance on the planet.  It is probably tied with my now deceased bread machine and that auto fuction on my coffee maker which has also kicked the bucket.  *knocking on wood* here because my crock pot is older than dirt and I already have two appliances to replace.

Spiced Shredded Beef Brisket
1 jar hoisin sauce
2 tsp chinese five spice powder
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 lbs beef brisket
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 head bok choy, trimmed and thinly sliced
8 soft sandwich buns

Place all ingredients into slow cooker bowl.  Cover; cook on high for 10 hours.

Remove meat to a cutting board.  Skim any fat off top of sauce in cooker and discard.  Add bok choy nd cook for 15 minutes.  Meanwhile shred beef with two fork.  Add back to slow cooker to coat with sauce.  Serve immediately with buns.

Servings: 8
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment