Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Southern Style Oven Fried Cod


The past two weeks I have been trying my best to eat out of our freezer and cupboards more.  I had leftover cod from the Panko Breaded Cod I made a few weeks ago so I figured I would find a new way to use it.  For whatever reason a fish fry popped into my head and to me a fish fry is a very southern thing.  What could be more southern than cornbread?  So I combined the two and came up with my version of southern cod. 

Now, I've never been to a traditional fish fry and I've never been to the south so this is all conjured up in my little brain and has nothing to do with actual southern history or appetite.  Please bear with me as it may turn out that this doesn't resemble southern cooking in the slightlest, but it was good, and you may just like it!

Southern Style Oven Fried Cod
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 Cod fillets
2 large eggs
2 Tbs vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.  Preheat the oil in a iron skillet to medium high heat.

Combine the dry ingredients in a shallow bowl and mix to combine. Place eggs into another bowl, and beat slightly.

Dip cod fillets into egg, then into dry mixture.

Over medium-high heat, heat the oil in an oven proof frying pan.  .  Fry until golden, about 1 minute, then flip and fry the other side. Transfer frying pan to the oven and bake for 5 minutes more.


Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 11 minutes
Oven Temperature: 500°F

No comments:

Post a Comment