Monday, April 11, 2011

Low Maintenance Risotto




Yes, that's the pork tenderloin from earlier this week.  Yes, I ate those two things together, but I can't give you all my recipes at once can I?  If I did, I may run out of recipes or stories to write.  I may drain myself of motivation and interest and words.  I can't have that.  I have to pace myself people. 

Risotto scares me, completely intimidates me, and I have never even attempted to make it before.  Heck, I've never even eaten it before, but I've always wanted to.   I've just never been able to tackle that fear that I had of it.  That is until I came across this recipe in a Family Cirlce magazine.  Great magazine, by the way, for anybody beyond the diaper, toddler, and preschool years.  I'm happy to have found a magazine geared toward tween and teen parenting issues.  No, I did not get paid to say that.  Family Circle doesn't have any idea who I am or that this blog even exists.  Back to the food!  I do that a lot, I get sidetracked.  I'm sorry, it's just how my brain works. 

I clipped this recipe probably about a year ago and tucked it away to try later.  Later is harder to come by for magazine clipped recipes because the internet is so easy to copy and paste and stick into my email which reminds me to TRY THIS NOW.  Still, I finally found my way back to that clipping and I'm so glad I did.  Risotto does not really require constant attention like I thought it did, though I do admit I probably stirred it more than necessary but it did no harm. 

Domo called this recipe "roni" all night.  He claimed that it is like macaroni with rice and that it was creamy delicious goodness.  I'd have to agree.  It was enjoyed by all.  When Domo asks for seconds, a rare occurrence, I know I am onto something. 

Low Maintenance Risotto
3 Tbs butter
kosher salt and pepper
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 Tbs fresh flat leaf parsley (optional)

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.  Add rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.  Add the wine and simmer until absorbed.

Add half the broth (1 3/4 cups) and simmer, stirring once until absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes.  Add the remaining broth and simmer stirring once, until absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes.  If the mixture is not cooked through and the mixture is dry add more broth and continue to cook until tender.

Stir in the parmesan and the remaining butter.  Sprinkle with parsley and addtional parmesan if desired.


Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
3 Tbs butter
kosher salt and pepper
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 Tbs fresh flat leaf parsley
1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.  Add rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.  Add the wine and simmer until absorbed.
2. Add half the broth (1 3/4 cups) and simmer, stirring once until absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes.  Add the remaining broth and simmer stirring once, until absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes.  If the mixture is not cooked through and the mixture is dry add more broth and continue to cook until tender.
3. Stir in the parmesan and the remaining butter.  Sprinkle with parsley and addtional parmesan if desired.
Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment