Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Lemony Red Potato Salad With Herbs


Facebook is the devil and people are strange.  I am completely amazed by how people's brains work or don't work as the case may be and I'm left wondering if I'm the weird one.  Is my brain the only one that operates in niceties and with thoughtfulness?  It doesn't always, but I'd like to think that most of the time I lean in that direction.  I don't use facebook often because I am guilty of over revealing details about my life.  One of my most recent status updates proved to be a situation where I should have been thrown in jail and the key thrown away.  Something simple kind of ran away from me like a freight train with no brakes and I looked on quietly observing the train wreck that became my life with one simple status update.  Okay, so it isn't that dramatic, but I was still left pretty bewildered.  Maybe this is why my husband refuses to get on the facebook band wagon.

My son played in a USAA baseball tournament in Yakima, WA recently.  During the championship game on a Sunday afternoon Domo was pitching and he tweaked his wrist.  A pitch or two later we decided to pull him from the game.  That Monday he woke up with a still tender wrist and my husband and I made the decision to take him to the doctor that afternoon.  Here's where I'm guilty.  My status update from the doctor's office read, and I quote: "Waiting for an xray on Domo. We will be leaving the doctors office in a wrist splint of some sort but the xray will determine what kind." Seems pretty innocent, right? 

Later that evening after Domo was given a splint for his sprained arm and I was fast asleep  very snuggly in my bed, the entire team receives an email from the head coach.  The jist of it said that while he hadn't talked to Domo's parents (um, that's us) he heard through another parent that Domo may have broken his arm.   Whoah, nelly! How the hell did we get here?  I was left with my head reeling a bit and feeling like a total nob for being such an idiot and revealing too much.  Don't you think whoever this parent was would have confirmed the story before starting a rumor mill?  Would it have been to much to ask to shoot my husband or myself a quick email before alarming the whole team?  How it went down seems so out of place to me, or am I the weird one?  A person can never be sure of these things.

Now it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out exactly how we got from a simple status update to an email to the whole team about something that wasn't even true but I'll be a good girl and keep it to myself.  I won't forget that this happened though and I can only hope that I will be more careful in the future.  Be very careful about what kind of people you friend on facebook! It could give you a headache later down the road.

So to make myself feel better after telling you that story I am going to eat the BBQ pork tenderloin that I left in my crock pot this morning.  I'd share the recipe with you but I forgot to put BBQ sauce in the crockpot so it sucks, but I'm gonna slice that bad boy tenderloin up, smear BBQ sauce on it, and make my family eat it anyway.

My saving grace is the Lemony Red Potato Salad With Herbs that I made.  It's a recipe that I came up with because I wanted something that reminded me of spring long before fresh herbs are blooming and readily available at the markets for an affordable price.   You can use fresh herbs as well and I've included those measurements for you. It isn't your traditional potato salad, I wanted something a bit different, and this fits the bill nicely.  It's a pretty naked salad; not much going on here besides potatoes in a dressing. 

Lemony Red Potato Salad With Herbs
1 1/2 lbs red potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces (leave the skin on)
1 Tbs rice vinegar
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 medium green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil

Bring potatoes to boil in large pot of water. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Drain; let stand until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes.

Add all remaining ingredients; toss. Season with salt and pepper.

Chill for several hours.

Servings: 6
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 2 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment